Monday, November 1, 2021

The King of Hel by Grace Draven

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

As with the previous couple books I've read, I continued looking for books that fit unfulfilled prompts for Bang in the Night Bingo. I ended up finding The King of Hel by Grace Draven. This works for the prompts Hades and Persephone retelling. I'm not quite counting it, but it could also cover for I put a spell on you if you are needing something with magic. I also used this for the Fall in Love board two prompt illustrated cover. Let's be honest for a second, not only does Grace Draven have some of the best covers, but these are the best kind of illustrated covers (in my opinion). So freaking pretty.

Castil is best friends with the betrothed to the King of Helenrisia. When he shows up to marry and take her back to his home, Doranis meets Castil. She is a scribe and acurately translates a broach. While Doranis spends a lot of time with Castil before the wedding going over scrolls. Many of the other people avoid Doranis as he's been marked with the magic of the Waste. Castil doesn't and they become close. When Castil receives a letter from her friend worried about giving birth and feeling like she's dying, she leaves for Helenrisia.

Oh my gosh. First off, at this point Grace Draven can do no wrong in my eyes. This short story/novella is only 51 pages. Once again, only 51 pages and I was completely transported and drawn into this new world. I'm not sure if some of her other novellas or stories are set in this same world, but I want more. The pacing was so well done here and outside of just wanting more, the story didn't really need more for me to trust in the HEA. There were a couple time jumps here, but it didn't bother me much. I don't want to go too much into it since it is so short. 

If you are looking for a quick, steamy and fun fantasy romance definitely check this out. I love Grace Draven's writing and need to definitely get through more of her backlist. I hoping to get some more off my list come February for FaRoFeb.

Have you read The King of Hel?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: The King of Hel, Grace Draven, 5-stars, 0 days, eBook, 51 pages, published in 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...