Saturday, November 27, 2021

Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

The next full sized novella in the Kate Daniels readalong is Gunmetal Magic by Ilona Andrews. This is listed as 5.5 in the series and included in November's readalong selections. Even though it is an in between novel, it's full length. In case you've missed my previous Kate Daniels reviews, it's hosted by Stef, Heather and Megan. I was also able to use this for the 2nd chance romance prompt for Fall in Love board 2.

We come back to Andrea's POV. She's struggling to find her place after getting kicked out of the Order and now working with Kate at Cutting Edge. When she is assigned the case of murders at her ex-mate Raphael's site by the Pack, she's forced to reconcile her life in Atlanta.

Tiny summary, but I don't want to spoil too much. Now, I loved getting a full length novel from Andrea's POV. I loved the previous novella and it was really fun to see a different perspective for a longer amount of time. I also loved that Andrea did not just roll over, not that I expected her to, with Raphael and how he treated her relationship with the Order. I loved how she explained it to him and that he finally understood what it was that he was asking her to do. It's not an easy decision, and at this point it wasn't even her decision anymore. I still loved that she was so firm with him that if they had any chance of reconciliation that he needed to understand why and how hurt she was.

We get more fun expansion into the world and dealt a lot with Egyptian mythology here. I really enjoyed it, except for the snake parts. I just can't really handle that and found my self speed reading some of the fights since I did not want to get nightmares. They are one of my biggest fears and I can get nightmares pretty easily if snakes are even mentioned around me. It's just one of those things. A part of me wants to rate it 4.5 stars because of it, but that's more of a me thing. While I tend to rate emotionally, I don't think that should be something that's a ding against the book. Just be warned, if you don't like snakes either.

I did want a little more of the tension between Raphael and Andrea before they got back together, but I can forgive it since this is technically an Urban Fantasy and they are also fated mates. They also had a couple of the discussions between them that I was wanting. I also would've liked the steamy scenes to be a little more developed. But that's just my romance happy brain wanting more. I really loved this and hope that we get to see Raphael and Andrea get the main character in the future. Even if just in novella form. I can't wait to get to Magic Gifts and see what was going on with Kate and Curran during this time. Another great read from Ilona Andrews and I can't wait to continue the series!

Have you read Gunmetal Magic?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Gunmetal Magic, Ilona Andrews, 5-stars, 2 days, eBook, 434 pages, published in 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...