Monday, November 22, 2021

Off to the Races by Elsie Silver

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

Having a little bit more time to mood read before getting to some readalong books, I went through my tbr for the 2nd board for Fall in Love. I was in the mood for contemporary, so I decided to pick up Elsie Silver's Gold Rush Ranch series. It's been hyped a little by Shelby and I've been wanting to try them. I ended up using this for the prompt Shelby gave 4 or 5 stars. The first book is Off to the Races and is also Elsie's debut novel!

Vaughn has returned to his grandfather's ranch to try to save it. The family own two businesses and he used to be the PR guy for the mining side. After his grandfather is exposed for fixing horse races and then passing shortly after, Vaughn has stepped in. Not only is he hoping to save his grandfather's and the ranch's reputation, he also needs to get away and grieve in his own way. He hires Billie, one of the best upcoming horse trainers. She's got secrets of her own, but when she connects with one of the most cantankerous horses, he doesn't know if it's worth the risk.

Now, this book is at the threshold, if not a little past, the angst I can handle. I'm completely blown away that this is Elsie's first book. It was so good. I loved the small town feel with them being isolated on the ranch. It was a great grumpy sunshine trope. A little bit of enemies to lovers, which I'm not a fan of, but we know right away that it's more just them goading each other for fun. There were a lot of talk about grief and how everyone experiences it differently. Vaughn was really struggling with not only dealing with his grief and not in the prescribed way of his family, but also reconciling him having done something so honorable.

I loved how Vaughn and Billie connected emotionally and both had a lot of issues that the other help them identify and push to work on to be together. While Vaughn sometimes did or said the wrong things, I loved how immediately he knew it was wrong. There was one time when they were arguing in his POV and his inner monologue is like "I can't stop the emotions, I didn't mean it, but we're going there." It felt so real and I loved the deep dive into both of the character's psyches. It just helped connect me to both of them and really root for them to get there. Plus I loved the setting of a horse ranch and seeing a sport I haven't read too much in romance novels.

I really need to stop gushing about this book, but I absolutely adored it to pieces. I can't wait to read more from Elsie and this series. I will be adding the series to my wishlist. I know that there's a novella that's next about his grandfather and grandmother. I haven't looked at the main characters for book two yet, but I have some ideas of who the future pairings might be. I can't wait! Also, she just revealed the cover for the third book and it's absolutely gorgeous! Another thing I want to mention, if you join her newsletter you get some extras for both books and the novella for free. If you love contemporary romance and small town romance, please try this. I'm so thankful to Shelby for recommending this series. Seriously, please read this book. Also, if you love horses, this is a must read. So. Freaking. Good.

Have you read Off to the Races?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Off to the Races, Elsie Silver, 5-stars, 1 day, eBook, 334 pages, published in 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...