Saturday, October 30, 2021

The Devil and I by Kay Alastor

🍎🍎🍎🍎

Update: I reread this in April of 2022 and have changed my rating to a 4.5 stars. I reread this for the Dark Romance Readathon and it covered the prompts removal of a body part, touch her and you die, criminal and obsessive hero. I also used this for the Love Has Sprung board 2 reading challenge covering the prompt published in 2021 and for the Taylor Swift Quarterly Challenge covering the prompt Betty (character with a unique name).

Continuing my push on Bang in the Night Bingo prompts, I searched for books that have devil in the title on my kindle. The only one that sounded good (and wasn't apart of a series) was The Devil and I by Kay Alastor. This is a debut dark romance I found thanks to Jen (The Book Refuge). Also, can I just say, I love this cover. So gorgeous. I was able to apply this to the prompts into the woods, CSI: crime scene investigation and a deal with the devil. I also used this to cover the prompt new to you author for the second board of Fall in Love.

Rayna is struggling with trauma from being raped and not having her small support system support her. When her rapist shows back up, she decides to choose the extreme option of killing herself. When she hikes out in the woods, she finds the perfect tree to rest under. Lucas, local police officer, is out for a run. He hears a sound and comes across Rayna as she's bleeding out. Lucas decides to save her and is immediately drawn to her. He does what first aid he can to keep from taking her to the hospital and losing contact. Since he's just started his vacation, he decides to take Rayna to his house further into the woods. Lucas however, isn't just a police office, but also a serial killer of those that escape the law.

Oh My Gosh. Guys, this book. I'm so glad Jen recommended this book. Now, I only rated this 4-stars, but it's more like a 4.5 or even 4.75. What is wrong with me that I loved Lucas so freaking much. While he gets a little over the top at times, his possessive and obsessive tendencies with Rayna hit all of my buttons. All of them. I loved how they both were really able to connect with being secluded. Lucas's trauma training also really helped him properly help Rayna deal with her emotions and reactions. The way that they just seemed to connect on a different level was so visceral and felt so real. Yes this was a little bit insta-love and insta-lust, but it just felt right with the characters. I fell like sometimes you can really connect with someone quickly when you are able to drop all of your emotional barriers and truly connect. I don't know. I've just been thinking about this book a lot since finishing it and just really connected with it.

I was a little worried about the suicide. I had never been triggered before until I read Kiss an Angel, but haven't read too many books with suicide, let alone in the POV of a main character that takes step do so. Thankfully I wasn't triggered and I feel like Kay did a really good job putting the reader into the mind of someone that is contemplating suicide. So why not the full 5-stars. Just a couple things. There were a couple inconsistency things that bothered me. Rayne mentions being 25 years-old in the beginning but then later she's 20. There were a few things similar that just really pulled me out. Usually they don't bother me too much, but I was just so engrossed in the story that when I came across them I did pause and think or say out loud, "Wait, I thought xyz." That's it, really my only complaint. Well, I do wish it was longer, but that's not a real complaint.

I am still blown away that this is Kay's first book and can't wait to see what she writes next. I heard Jen mention in a video that she plans on doing something mafia related. I'm certainly intrigued. I can't thank Jen enough for recommending this book. Also, can we just talk about the cover for a second. So freaking good. I love it and will be getting a paperback for my shelf. I can definitely see myself rereading parts of it soon. If you enjoy psychopath and/or serial killer books, certainly give this one a try.

Have you read The Devil and I?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: The Devil and I, Kay Alastor, 4-stars, 1 day, eBook, 137 pages, published in 2021

STATISTICS IN 2022: The Devil and I, Kay Alastor, 4.5 stars, 0 days, Paperback, 224 pages, published in 2021, indie published

1 comment:

  1. I'm wondering where you're seeing the age inconsistency? Chapters 1, 4, and 8 are the only ones I see her age mentioned at all, all 20.

    ReplyDelete

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...