Friday, November 19, 2021

Green-Eyed Monster by Elsie Winters

🍎🍎🍎🍎

After reading Hot as Hades, I had one more read to fulfill the #banginthenight prompt for Bang in the Night Bingo. I looked through some options, and nothing sounded good enough or was short enough for me to get it in time. I remembered that Tamed by the Troll would count, so I just needed to find a new monster romance to replace it. I went through a couple different key words searches on my kindle and when I saw Green-Eyed Monster by Elsie Winters, I knew it was the one. This is her debut work and more of a short story. It is related to her first full length novel, Leviathan's Song, which was released about a month later and is connected. For Bang in the Night Bingo, this could also cover #squadgoals, I put a spell on you, and PSL vibes on top of #beastmode. I also used Green-Eyed Monster to cover the prompt under 300 pages for Fall in Love board 2. I also was able to cram it in during the Smutathon and it counts for monster, 2021 release, novella, new to you author and read in one sitting.

Hyrak is studying for an exam and suddenly there's crashing sounds and people are running around. He follows a friend and goes to help out. Hyrak ends up saving Solandis and carrying her and her little mushroom fae to safety.

Small summary, but this is really short and I don't want to give too much away. First off, this is such a cool premise. Hyrak is an Orc going to college to be an accountant. Solandis is doing something with botany. The idea of magical creatures having their own "normal" world and going to school is just so cool. I love it and was so intrigued to learn more about the world. This was such a sweet and fluffy romance. Hyrak and Solandis were so cute together and their mutual pining was so well done. It totally made sense why they both weren't pushing for more than friends.

Honestly, I just wanted more from this. I wanted it to be longer and a little more fleshed out. I still really enjoyed it and will definitely be picking up Leviathon's Song. I feel like this was a good primer into the world and a way for a reader to try a new author's writing style and world building without committing to a full size novel. Especially when you look at this as Elsie's debut, it just makes her more intriguing to me on how she's going to grow and evolve from here.

I don't quite know my plans for the rest of the year, but I'm thinking I'll be picking up Leviaton's Song for FaRoFeb at the the latest. I'm super intrigued and there was a note that we briefly met some of the characters that were going to be featured in it. Plus I think she said we'll see Hyrak and Solandis in the background. I can't wait to read more from this new author! I always love finding a new fantasy romance author.

Have you read Green-Eyed Monster?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Green-Eyed Monster, Elsie Winters, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 45 days, published in 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...