Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Tempest by Beverly Jenkins

๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ

As mentioned in previous posts, I absolutely adore the Smart Women Read Romance Podcast. I am a patron and participate in their monthly live reviews. For February, the book chosen under the historical prompt was Tempest by Beverly Jenkins. This is the third book in her Old West series, although it seems most of her series are in the same world and connect via various characters.

This was my first Beverly Jenkins, and I'm happy to finally get to one of them. If I wasn't knee deep in fantasy romance due to FaRoFeb, I would've read the whole series. Most of the time (95%) I prefer to read things in order, even if it's not necessary. Unfortunately I didn't relegate enough time to read the first two books before Tempest. This book focuses on Regan, a mail-order bride moving to Wyoming to marry the local Doctor Colton. He is looking for a wife mainly for his daughter Anna. The relationship between Regan and Anna is what made this a 4-star and not 3-star for me. The way that Regan takes shy Anna under her wing and naturally helps her grow confidence in herself and allows her to be a child. 

What I wasn't as fond of is the romance between the two. Yes there were some steamy moments, but I didn't like how sudden the attraction felt and how Colton kind of fought against it. It was written like he was fighting falling for Regan, however I didn't actually feel like he was falling for her. More intrigued since she was so different than any other woman he knows (outside of his awesome-sauce sister). I also didn't like how he kept saying that "good women" did do this or act like that. Oh, and that a good woman just lifted her skirts to lie with a man and that was it. Nobody getting naked and both finding pleasure. Like, you're a doctor dude! He should've been more knowledgeable and known better. Especially with how good of a relationship he supposedly had with his wife. I also though the main conflict was a little clichรฉ, but it fit the western feel and I'm glad it was more external. 

Overall, I enjoyed the book and will definitely pick up more Beverly Jenkins. I'm super interested in his sister's book, but I guess it's actually in the Woman Who Dare series (from what I heard). Excited to finally get to a Beverly Jenkins and I definitely get the hype about her books. I just feel like this one didn't quite hit steaminess and "great love story" that I was expected.

Have your read Tempest?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi๐ŸŽ


STATISTICS: Tempest, Beverly Jenkins, 4-stars, 1 day, eBook, 384 pages, published in 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...