Sunday, March 14, 2021

Soulfire by Juliette Cross

๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ๐ŸŽ

The last book I read for FaRoFeb was Soulfire by Juliette Cross. This is book one in her Nightwing trilogy, which also segues into her Vale of Stars series. As I've mentioned numerous times, Juliette is one-half of the excellent Aunt-Niece duo that hosts the Smart Women Read Romance Podcast. I actually had Juliette on my tbr (her Vampire Blood series) before I started listening to the podcast, but actually didn't start reading her until she started releasing her newer Stay a Spell series (which I absolutely love).

Anyways, I wanted for my last book to be something fun and special and to end on a good note. I went for Soulfire since it's a shorter book and I knew I could read it before bed in one sitting. However, when I started reading I realized I had the original copy. She actually re-released these in 2018 after revising, updating and adding a few scenes. I immediately restarted the newer version. 

This was such a great novella and a great introduction in her world with Morgans. Morgans are like dragon-human hybrids. They have wings and are otherwise humanoid in form. These are more of a fated mate trope so the romance was pretty insta-love. Being that our hero Lucius is a Morgan, it didn't bother me. When reading more fantasy or paranormal romances, the insta-love doesn't bother me as much (though there are some that aren't done well). Jessen (named after her co-podcaster niece) is at a club for a friends band and runs into her brother and kind-of fiancรฉ and a brawl breaks out. Lucius saves her and they immediately feel a connection. I loved that they didn't just jump straight to kissing or more intimate acts. They almost became friends and had some fun but also deep conversations.

I just wish that it was longer. It is a novella and I knew that going in, but it's rare that I feel like I don't need more at the end. I am definitely intrigued and really hope that his brother Lorian is a hero in the next books. I haven't looked yet because I don't want to spoil too much. I'm super excited to continue and these are going to be perfect to read between books, especially during the week when I don't want to start something lengthy. I'm super excited to finally get into Juliette's backlist and will definitely be adding these in to my current reading rotation. 

Have you read Soulfire?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi๐ŸŽ


STATISTICS: Soulfire, Juliette Cross, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 172 pages, published 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...