Saturday, March 20, 2021

My Kind of Earl by Vivienne Lorret

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

The first book I read for the Kindle Clear Out Readathon was Vivienne Lorret's My Kind of Earl. This is the second in her Mating Habits of Scoundrels series. Before the readathon, I reread the first book. This was for the anticipated read prompt on my bingo board. 

I absolutely adored this book. I think I liked the overarching plot better than the first, but couple wise they are tied. Jane, our bookish and scientifically minded debutante, is taking charge in writing the book on scoundrels. The book starts off with her sneaking into a brothel for research. Raven, our hero, sees her sneak in and keeps an eye on her. Quickly she is found. Raven rescues her and he ends up being dyed pink by her smoke bomb. This book started off so fun and I loved how drawn they were to each other right away.

Jane recognizes a "birthmark" on Raven's arm and eventually this leads to him being the lost baby and heir to an Earldom. I loved how Jane and Raven interacted with each other and just seemed to be in sync. Even though she was scientifically minded, she wasn't like other characters I've read like that. A lot of the time they come across almost stupid in emotions. She is not as emotionally minded, but she also doesn't disregard them as unnecessary or understand them. It was such a nice change of pace. It was interesting to see the love match of her parents, but in a selfish way since they ignore all of their children and focus on each other. Jane is left to almost be a mother to them and even when eating her parents don't notice her most of the time and seem surprised when they realize she's there.

Raven is there for Jane and isn't afraid of the "hoarde" as she affectionately calls her siblings. Raven was interesting as well, being an orphan and raised on the streets. He did still have some aristocratic tendencies which was interesting. It was also fun to see that some of his most cherished possessions were books. He did fight against becoming apart of the aristocracy, but I loved that he made it a point to get to know his grandfather and that he constantly emphasized that what he really wanted was a family. 

While both books were 5-stars for me, I think that My Kind of Earl is slightly above Lord Holt Takes a Bride. The third book, focusing on the third friend Ellie, is due to come out June of this year and I can't wait! I'm excited to see how her HEA unfolds. And even though Prue isn't really in these books outside of letters to them as she's in exile, I'm intrigued to see if we'll ever meet her in person and if she'll get a book as well.

Have you read My Kind of Earl?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: My Kind of Earl, Vivienne Lorret, 5-stars, 0 days, eBook, 384 pages, published in 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...