Wednesday, March 24, 2021

Garrant by Annabelle Rex

🍎🍎🍎🍎

The fourth book I read for the Kindle Clear Out Readathon was book three in Annabelle Rex's Intergalactic Soulmates series, Garrant. This doubled up for prompts that were already taken on my bingo board.

So Garrant is different from the first two in that we aren't focusing as much as the overarching plot. Between Cael and Garrant (the books), Asha and Cael have put together an intergalactic games. Basically it's the Olympics, but broadcast through the universe and will feature both the human and intergalactic competitions. It's meant to be a show of good will for everyone and to help with Earth's integration. So I would classify this as a alien, fated mates, sports romance. 

Garrant is a hyperdisk athlete, which is described as a mix of basketball and football (I'm assuming the soccer football since this is mainly set in England). From the descriptions it seems more like hockey, but with a frisbee sized puck that's thrown between players. Also they wear propulsion shoes, so they're all above an anti-gravity field and kind of flying. Garrant is friends with Cael's sister, so when the group gets together for the opening ceremony, he meets Asha's sister Nell. They immediately are attracted to each other and sneak away for a quickie during the after ceremony cocktail party. 

Nell's 5 year-old son Mikey was such a sweetheart throughout this book and I loved how drawn to Garrant he was. They had such a great relationship. We also deal with Nell's ex coming back now that she's related to the new princess. He plays it off that he's interested in knowing his son and getting back with Nell, but it's really because she's become "someone." Another storyline is that Garrant is injured and this will be his last big competition before retirement. He is dealing with what comes next for him after he retires, especially since he doesn't have a match/family to spend time with. I loved the connection that Garrant and Nell shared and I loved that this was separate from all the political goings on in the other three books. If I look at the books as a whole, this would be my favorite. Once again though, I wanted more alien from him. He is covered with tattoos that are important moments in his life, but that was really the main difference. His race has this fun almost pathway-type ability that comes from meditation. Garrant hasn't mastered it though since he can't seem to sit still long enough to form that connection, but in a frank conversation with Mikey he finally achieves it. While that is alien, it's more of a meta-physical/mental power. Even though this was my favorite of the series, it didn't have that extra oomph that made it a 5-star for me. However, I did immediately jump into the fourth book Tarkken

Have you read Garrant?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Garrant, Annabelle Rex, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 136 pages, published in 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...