Saturday, March 13, 2021

Hermes by Alessa Thorn

🍎🍎🍎🍎

The last book in The Court of the Underworld series I read for FaRoFeb was book four, Hermes. These great Greek retellings were written by Alessa Thorn, and as I'm sure you can tell from my previous reviews, I am obsessed with this series.

This book focuses on the damaged Hermes and his nurse Selene. We've met Selene throughout the series as their on call nurse. Hermes was just rescued from Pandora, the villain behind everything (as learned at the end of Hades). He has lost his memory (which we come to learn was actually a curse from Zeus before he died) and drugged. Now that he is back, he doesn't remember a lot, has a hard time forming memories and being around Selene just seems to calm him.

While I still enjoyed this book, it did a lot of advancement in the overarching plot. While it was nice to finally get some answers for whose behind all these horrible events and kidnappings, I wanted more focus on Selene and Hermes. Their romance was cute and I loved how mischievous he was, even when he didn't quite know that's how he normally acted. I felt like the curse resolution being the "moon in love" and Selene being lady moon and a surprise descendent of Hecate was a little too perfect. But for the these shorter books it still fit the established world and makes sense in a way. Just a little to predictable for me. While the other ones had some predictable moments, it didn't felt as obvious compared to the others. 

I really enjoyed Selene and loved getting to know more about her. It'll be interesting if moving forward we get to see her learning more about her magic and how to wield it moving forward. It was teased at the end that Hecate was still in the world and I believe she is who was woken up from slumber in the epilogue. It was also teased that Thanatos had a crush on her way back when, so maybe that's the couple? I haven't at the blurbs too much because while I'm familiar with the myths, next we'll be dealing with the titans who I don't know quite as much about. I can't wait to continue on in the series, but I might switch over to something for a little bit before jumping back in. Maybe I'll leave the last three for the Kindle Clear Out Readathon which started today!

Have you read Hermes?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Hermes, Alessa Thorn, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 212 pages, published in 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...