Friday, March 26, 2021

Return of the Rogue by Donna Fletcher

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

The sixth book I read for the Kindle Clear Out Readathon was Donna Fletcher's Return of the Rogue. This is the first in her Sinclare Brothers series. After reading previous Donna Fletcher books, I definitely wanted to continue reading her backlist and have all her books on my paperback wishlist. For the readathon I chose this book over her others since it fits my favorite trope, wrong sibling! I just love when one of our main characters thinks they are in love with someone, only to have their sibling be their perfect match!

Honora is finally getting married to a son of the Laird of Clan Sinclare, but to the second oldest son Atair. However, her abusive step-father has worded the agreement that she is to marry the heir to the clan. That would be the eldest son Cavan. He, unfortunately, has been kidnapped by barbarians and is currently missing. During the wedding, Cavan arrives after escaping only to suddenly have a wife. Some time before he was captured, the agreement was brought up for the first time but Cavan rejected Honora because he thought her too weak to be his wife. 

This was a more angsty read compared to other Donna Fletcher novels I've read, but I still loved it. I like that it didn't take long for them to start communicating and that Cavan realized pretty early on in the book that Honora was abused. I liked how he was always so sure and proved to her that though they didn't want to get married to each other, he was not going to hurt her and do his best to be a good husband. Watching Honora finally show her strength externally and allowing Cavan to realize that she really is strong, just in a different way was so sweet. I also loved that Honora was more on board with consummating the marriage, but Cavan was trying to keep himself separated from her and his family for their protection.

I really enjoyed the progression of their relationship. It felt really natural and they seemed to really click and be drawn to each other without realizing it. I also loved that he allowed her to keep one of the new puppies. I do feel like the villain and his plans were fairly obvious. I did love that Honora was kidnapped, she actually escaped the barbarian encampment without Cavan's help. I'm super intrigued to see how the story evolves and can't wait to see what happened to the missing youngest brother Ronan and see the younger brothers get their HEAs!

I am super happy to read more Donna Fletcher and will probably jump back into this or one of the other series I started after my book clubs and readathons have a break. Plus, like I mentioned I have all her books on my wishlist. Not only are the covers absolutely gorgeous, but I really like how Donna Fletcher writes and the emotions she evokes. Her books are becoming such a great comforting, feel good read for me. Plus it's fun that her historicals are mostly highlander romances! She is definitely one of my favorite historical authors and I couldn't recommend her more!

Have you read Return of the Rogue?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Return of the Rogue, Donna Fletcher, 5-stars, 1 day, eBook, 384 pages, published in 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...