Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Seized by Love by Susan Johnson


🍎🍎

The 10th, and last book, I read for the Kindle Clear Out Readathon was Seized by Love by Susan Johnson. This is the first book in her Russian/Kuzan Family series. I chose this book for the oldest tbr prompt on my kindle since it was the oldest published book I had that seemed interesting. I did take a peek at reviews and saw that despite this being written and published in the late 1970s, it didn't really have any rape or other major items that modern historical readers don't like.

Now, I agree with the reviews that I saw that there wasn't really rape in this book. There was definitely some, what should I call it, forced seduction? She caves and her body is definitely into it, but she tries to fight her body but her mind usually loses. But, back to the premise. Prince Nikolai Kuzan in staying at a Finnish lodge of his with friends and his contingency just getting drunk and enjoying women. One afternoon, him and two of his friends are having a picnic. One suggests a bet to help keep Nikki from getting bored with life, and it's to seduce the chaste ice queen Alsia. She is married to a local merchant and very off-standish. 

He quickly accepts and approaches her, as she's painting across the way. Now I like the premise and I enjoyed the initial seduction and time they spent together afterwards. Nikki just kind of tells her how she's coming with, especially as they've discussed her abusive husband and how he likes to beat her to find pleasure. She mentions her daughter and he says that's fine that she comes. Alsia also wants to bring her servants from before her marriage, which Nikki gets frustrated about, but allows. She still denies him. Alsia is falling for Nikki, but he just wants her as a mistress. She doesn't want that at all.

Why this is 2-stars for me is Prince Kuzan. I liked the premise and I kept feeling like he would start to care for Alsia, or at least come to realize his feelings. Every time he took a step forward though, he would go back to the start. I really just started to get frustrated with him. I could see the change coming and kept reading hoping for that switch to happen, but it never really did. Alsia does get kidnapped by her husband at one point and he rides to rescue her (if course it's right after they've come to new terms and stopped arguing, but he assumes the worst before finding out she was actually kidnapped). He then tells he that he loves her at that point and we see a few weeks of good relationship building. Then, his parents force them to marry and all that work and feelings seem to disappear on his end. It just was so back and forth and they kept antagonizing each other and it didn't stop. Finally when it comes to the birth of their child after they're married (and having a horrible marriage), Alsia struggles a lot and it seems like both will die. Suddenly, once again, Nikki realizes he loves her and promises he'll do better if she lives.

Honestly, it felt like too little too late. He never groveled or apologized or even realized how hurtful the things he was saying. He just stuck to his pride and what he thought was independence. I know that this is an older book, but it was re-edited and re-released in 1994 and Susan's author note mentioned updating things. Now don't get me wrong, I have read and loved older historical romances. The 1990s and early 2000s tend to be my sweet spot of enjoyment. I just couldn't get behind him at all. I didn't find very much redeeming of Nikki and was pretty disappointed with the read. I think what bothered me the most is that I would be thinking of dnf-ing but then there would be moments of good. I would get sucked back into the story only to eventually be let down. Repeatedly. I don't know if I'll read more in this series or try her again. I won't avoid her, but it's definitely not at the top of my tbr. Honestly after reading this, I was just hoping that it wouldn't put me in a book slump.  Spoiler Alert: It didn't, thankfully.

Have you read Seized by Love?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi🍎


STATISICS: Seized by Love, Susan Johnson, 2-stars, 1 day, eBook, 304 pages, published in 1979

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...