Thursday, March 25, 2021

Tarkken by Annabelle Rex

🍎🍎🍎🍎

The fifth book I read for the Kindle Clear Out Readathon was Tarkken by Annabelle Rex. This is the fourth and I think last book in her Intergalactic Soulmates. I've seen other covers, but the series lists I've seen only lists four. Plus the epilogue makes me think that this was the last book planned. Once again this doubled up on prompts already covered on my bingo board.

This book focuses on the computer whiz Marta (who we met in Cael and is Asha's best friend) and Tarkken (who is Cael's head of security and also his tech man). I was really hoping after reading Cael that Tarkken and Marta would be paired since they both had kind of similar roles. Tarkken also makes fun of humans and their pets, especially cats and I could see the set up since Marta has a kitty named Mouse. 

Marta's backstory was little more angsty than I was expecting, with her father constantly getting arrested and basically abandoning her without actually realizing how his actions were affecting her and their relationship. Tarkken's race is an empathic race, and to function properly must connect emotionally with others. While surface probing can help when it's large groups of people, what's really needed for his health is a deep emotional connection. Being that his home planet everyone is pretty much open emotionally all the time, he's almost neuro-diverse in that he's okay with reading others but can't stand to be read himself.  Throughout all the books, Tarkken was my favorite hero. Tarkken and Marta end up hunting the leader of the anti-alien hate group and at a club end up kissing to cover up them being in a restricted area. Quickly after, they can't stay away from each other. Marta and Tarkken are my favorite couple of the series, and if it wasn't for her father and the overarching plot, this would've been my favorite book of the series.

A big reason it didn't get 5-stars was the epilogue. It's a year or so later and there is a global government now and Earth is finally coming together. There's a bill passed that aliens are now considered "people" and are subject to laws and all the benefits of being "human." Like adoption and those that attack them being able to be persecuted. Not only was it a little long, but we meet this random other match and learn about them a little. Plus we spend a lot of time with the other three couples, including a surprise marriage for Cael and Asha. I just wanted more HEA for Marta and Tarkken. I also didn't like that their plan was to separate from everyone else and go on their own adventures. Wouldn't Cael still need his head of security to the other places he visits? I don't know, the epilogue just ruined my enjoyment and I almost wish I didn't read it. Although, it was cute that Tarkken created a little cubby for Mouse so Marta didn't have to give her up and even got a special permit to take her with them. 

Overall I enjoyed this quick little novella series and it was nice to read some alien romances that didn't have the women being kidnapped and tortured before being rescued by their heroes. I'll definitely read more from Annabelle Rex. It'd be nice to get more alien with my alien romance though. But like I've said, these were quick fun reads that was a perfect in between my planned historicals. Oh, and I didn't mention, but this also doubled for the short story or novella prompt. 

Have you read Tarkken?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Tarkken, Annabelle Rex, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 152 pages, published in 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...