Friday, December 3, 2021

A Photo Finish by Elsie Silver

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

The 2nd book in Elsie Silver's Gold Rush Ranch series is A Photo Finish. I used this to cover the prompt recommendation from Shelby for the second board of Fall in Love.

We pick up a year after the end of Off to the Races. After Violet won the Denman Derby and came face to face with Cole for the first time, they've avoided each other as best as possible. When Cole ends up needing to stay at the ranch while dealing with a new business nearby and Violet gets injured and needs a place to stay without stairs, they end up sharing the main house at the ranch. Cole and Violet had been friends online for over a year, but when Cole wasn't comfortable opening up to Violet things quickly ended. With them being stuck together for a few weeks while Violet heals, they start to reconnect in new ways.

Oh boy was this book heavy. I feel like the novella kind of was a primer for going into this. Cole is a veteran and dealing with a lot mental health issues. While he is currently seeing a therapist, there is still a lot of work he's still doing. Also, I don't want to give too much of a spoiler, but he's dealing with a pretty large trauma from his time abroad. Unfortunately, the only ones that he's told about it are his mother, his ex-fiancΓ© and his therapist. When he finally opens up to Violet about it, most of the walls come down from there and seeing Cole not keeping as much to himself is so amazing. Just thinking about the weight that he kept hidden from everyone, even his brother, brings me to tears. Cole is such a strong person and I really enjoyed seeing his grumpiness constantly penetrated by Violet's sunshine.

I did wish that he opened up to her about his father's passing a little earlier since that was the other big thing that he was working on. It's hard to deal with grief, but when forced to be in the same area that his father passed for business a lot, it can make things harder. With Violet also being a jockey, I just wish it was brought up a little earlier. I liked that Violet knew about it and was considerate with him about it since she understood a little. I think that Cole is such a sweet cinnamon roll on the inside and I really grew to love him. I didn't quite expect this book to hit me in such a different way than Off to the Races, but it just blew me away. Another thing that I've enjoyed by Elsie, is when we get to the final conflict. There isn't too much wallowing, but the character that needs to make the apology immediately does what's needed for themselves and also goes about making a grand gesture in a way that isn't embarrassing and so heartwarming.

I am so excited to read more from Elsie Silver. Her series has been so good so far and I can't wait for the third book in the series, The Front Runner. Thankfully it comes out soon, December 3rd, and I'm so excited. Also, if you sign up for her newsletter you can get a bonus scene from this book that was super sweet. I didn't really mention it above, but we also get a lot of great horse therapy and I love that the horses our main character's are connecting with are characters themselves. If you enjoy small town, ranching, and/or horses, definitely give Elsie Silver a try. I'm obsessed!

Have you read A Photo Finish?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: A Photo Finish, Elsie Silver, 5-stars, 1 day, eBook, 368 Pages, Published in 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...