Wednesday, December 22, 2021

Daring Miss Danvers by Vivienne Lorret

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

The 2nd book I read for the Historical Romance Readathon is Daring Miss Danvers. This is the first book (outside of the prequel novella) for Vivienne Lorret's Wallflower Wedding series. This counted for the prompts in a series, wallflower, book you own and clinch cover. I also read applied Daring Miss Danvers to the Winter's Kiss board 1  prompt fake dating, Merry + Bright Readathon prompt Elf on the Shelf and Banging Through the Snow prompt hot chocolate (warm, steamy and cozy).

Emma is the straight-laced daughter of two peerage turned artists. After her parents were snubbed after her father starting painting those not in the ton, they've been pushed out. Emma has fought against the prejudice and tries to be the perfect debutante to not bring further shame upon her family. Oliver, Viscount Rathburn, has been friends with both Emma and her brother for the longest time. His grandmother has froze the inheritance he was supposed to receive upon gaining his majority, but has put several conditions on it's receival. The most recent is to marry someone that she approves. Emma is the only one so Oliver proposes a fake-engagement scenario to her parents. They whole-heartedly agree and Emma agrees to help. When they seal the agreement with a kiss they become aware of each other in a new way and are forced to face the feelings that they've been denying.

I really loved this story. Such a great mix of friends-to-lovers, fake-dating and mutual pining. I loved seeing both perspectives and how much they noticed about each other. I also loved that they both constantly were still finding out new aspects of each other and became insatiable. Especially Oliver; he just wanted to see the core of Emma and get her to open up to him completely. If I were to be really strict with myself, maybe this is closer to a 4.5-star rating, but the way that I feel when I read Vivienne Lorret's writing just gives me more excuses to round it up to 5.

I did think that the final conflict was a little stereotypical, but at the same time the way it was resolved was not. Spoilers incoming: Emma hears a rumor that the actress that was Oliver's former mistress ran away with a man with a lot of money. Since at this point Emma is still under the impression that Oliver only received his inheritance after marriage, she worries that it was Oliver. Even more so since he was cold in the morning because he wants her so bad to say she loves him. (Nevermind he hasn't quite said it yet either.) I loved that it wasn't drawn out. Emma came home, he was there and was open about where he was all day. Emma trusts and believes him and it's not made into a bigger deal than it should've been. I just loved that it didn't follow the typical plot line.

Back from spoilers! I did glance at the other two books in the series and it looks like we are focusing on Emma's other two friends in their needlework club Merribeth and Delaney. I wasn't sure if her brother would have a book or not, but I did see a Mr. Danvers on my shelf as well. When I pulled it to find the names he is book two in The Rakes of Fallow Hall series. That's a series I haven't read yet either and am happy that I am reading these in order. I think I might reread the ones I already have and just go through her backlist in order. It might take a bit, but maybe I can get through everything by May 24th. It was recently announced that that'll be the release date of book 4 in her Mating Habits of Scoundrels series and I've already preordered it! I can't wait!

Have you read Daring Miss Danvers?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Daring Miss Danvers, Vivienne Lorret, 5-stars, 3 days, Paperback, 288 pages, published in 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...