Saturday, December 4, 2021

Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

Having a little bit of time, I worked out a tentative tbr for the rest of November. After seeing what books I wanted to read for book clubs and the Black FaRoFriday Readathon, I then looked at what prompts they would count towards for the 2nd board of Fall in Love. I had two prompts left to find books for, one being a main character that owns a B&B, inn or hotel. I had a few options I could pick up, but I've been really wanting to reread Jill Shalvis. I received Simply Irresistible, the first book in her Lucky Harbor series, for Christmas in 2010. Since I read this over the winter break that year, Jill has been one of my top authors. I knew that I wanted a comfort read and thought this would be perfect. Plus this is set in December and gives the winter/holiday vibes without being Christmas centered.

Maddie Moore has just lost her job and recently broke up with her abusive boyfriend. When her mother passes, she learns that she and her two half-sisters have inherited the inn she used to run in Lucky Harbor. When the sisters meet up to decide what to do to move forward, Maddie is looking forward for a new start. She's hoping to get to know her sisters better, having grown up with her father, and find a new lease on life. It helps that she's now homeless and jobless. When she almost runs into Jax, the local mayor and contractor, sparks fly. Between renovating a broken down inn, trying to "stay away from men" while being tempted by Jax and convincing her sisters to stay and give the inn, and their family, a shot, what could go wrong?

Oh my gosh. I am so freaking glad I chose to pick this back up over the other options. Not only was I brought back to the cozy and nostalgic feelings of reading this back then. Also, I found that this book and Jax specifically really formed what I expect in a hero and contemporary romance in general. There is such a good mix of steam, humor, emotional growth and angst. We get good family dynamics and a quirky and helpful small town. This book just hits most of the buttons I know have, and I had quite a few realizations that those buttons were developed from this book and series.

There is so much steam and tension in this book and I love it. Now, there's only really one or two full sex scenes, but it didn't feel like it needs more. The tension in this book is just freaking superb. I also had a lot of fun because I think I remember who the sisters end up with, but I don't remember their exact stories. Let's get away from my nostalgia ramblings for a moment though. I love how Jax and Maddie connect throughout this book. They both have their issues to deal with, but are really so patient and understanding towards each other. While they do step back sometimes, it's for the better and neither of them can really stay away from each other. I loved how patient Jax was with Maddie and was so good and pushing her, but backing off when it became too much.

I've heard some people think that Jill Shalvis isn't steamy and get turned off by that, but I'm thinking that from her newer women's fiction series. There's not a lot of sex scenes, but like I keep saying, the tension is masterful. If you are looking for a good small town series that you can really sink your teeth into, I can't recommend this series more. I went through a Jill Shalvis binge once Lucky Harbor finished and read a good chunk of her backlist romances. It also looks like she has a new romance series that'll start early next year and I'm so excited for it. If you haven't read Jill Shalvis before and are on the fence, please try her books. I think this is a great introduction to both her and this series. I almost want to throw my tbr out the window and just binge the rest of this series, but I do want to try to keep to my schedule a little bit. Definitely stay tuned for more though because at the very least I want to get through the next two books since they are about Maddie's sisters. I'm also really excited that my love for this book is the same, if not more than when I first read it.

Have you read Simply Irresistible?

Seriously, if you haven't yet, please pick it up!

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Simply Irresistible, Jill Shalvis, 5-stars, 1 day, eBook, 336 pages, published in 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...