Friday, December 17, 2021

Kate Daniels 5.6 & 5.7 by Ilona Andrews

🍎🍎🍎🍎

If you're new here, I've been reading the Kate Daniels series by Ilona Andrews as a readalong hosted by Stef, Heather and Megan. Now, on their list of "assigned" reads 5.6 and 5.7 of the series weren't listed. I had asked about them at the previous live and they aren't really including them in the discussions. Since I'm a completionist, I knew I had to read them. Since we move forward next month, I decided to add them to November's tbr. Since they are both rather short and not officially apart of the readalong, I decided to combine the reviews! I also read these during the Black FaRoFriday Readathon and used Hex Appeal to cover the prompts, Gods, Buddy Read, Post a Cover Pic & Tag FaRoFeb, Witches/Shifters and Portal Fantasy.

5.6 is titled Retribution Clause and is included in the Hex Appeal anthology. We move from Atlanta to Philadelphia. Adam is an ice giant, Siaman's cousin and an insurance adjuster. He and his magical partner Siroun get assigned a new case. A wife was killed by her husband and her insurance provision is to kill the guilty party. They must break into his heavily guarded and warded estate to complete the claim.

This was super fun and it was interesting to see a different city in the Kate Daniels world. I'm hoping that either of these characters or what we learned will come to play in the future. I'm also really intrigued about what Siroun is. She seems almost like a shifter, but she also knows a lot about witches and old magic. I want to know more for sure. I also loved the pining on both ends and wish there was a little more development between them. I wish it was longer so we could more development overall, but it was a fun novella. I just hope we get to see them in the future, especially knowing he's Saiman's cousin. I also want to know about the chocolate cupcake. Why?


🍎🍎🍎🍎

5.7 is a short called Kate and Curran Texts, The Wilson Building. It's available for free to read on their website. We get to see a text/twitter chain of Curran texting Raphael, Jim and Kate. Raphael is at a building auction and sees Saiman there. They are bidding on the Wilson Building. Curran wants Raphael to bid against him and is trying to figure out why he wants it from Jim. At the same time Kate is waiting to spar with Curran and done waiting.

This was such a fun and quick read. I love getting to see some of the more "everyday" moments between them all. And as much as I enjoy Saiman as a character, it was fun to see how Curran is still trying to mess with him indirectly. They ended up making him spend $1.8 million on a $600k building. Poor Saiman.


I enjoyed these quick reads and am always happing to pick up something from Ilona Andrews. I couldn't remember if the Wilson Building was mention before or it'll come into play in the future. If it doesn't that's fine, but I would love to see it as a little easter egg. The same with Adam and Siroun. I really hope we get to see more of them in the future and I'm really intrigued to learn more about Siroun. I'm always happy to pick up these novellas from Ilona Andrews and love how they add more to the world they've created.

Have you read Retribution Clause and/or Kate and Curran Texts?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Retribution Clause, Ilona Andrews, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 40 pages, published in 2012

STATISTICS: Kate and Curran Texts, The Wilson Building, Ilona Andrews, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 4 pages, published in 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...