Monday, July 19, 2021

Witches Get Stitches by Juliette Cross

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

Witches Get Stitches, the 3rd book in Juliette Cross's Stay a Spell series, is out tomorrow, July 20th. However, my preorder copy shipped early and I received it Monday, July 12th. Of course I couldn't wait and immediately started it that night. And can I just say, I had a hell of a Monday and that just made my day brighten and I kept fondling(?) and looking at it on my desk. This series just looks so freaking gorgeous! I also may or may not have hugged it a few times. I may be a nerd, but books just bring me so much joy. I was hoping to get time to reread the first two books last week to refresh my mind on all the little things, but I'll just have to do it later. Anyways, I was happy to be able to apply this to my Summer of Swoon prompt starts with the letter W and the Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo prompt karaoke!

This book focuses on the Savoie sister Violet. Her witch classification is diviner. We saw in the previous books her separating a little from the sisters and announced that she is starting a tattoo shop. She ends up partnering with Nico, a werewolf. We previously met him in book 1, as he's Mateo's cousin. In the prologue however we find out Violet and Nico's teased backstory. They are now partners and Violet has firmly placed Nico in the friendzone for various reasons. Nico is just biding his time, recognizing from the beginning that she's his mate. Violet is working on creating tattoos that are spelled to help various supernaturals with different things. Nico's old pack show up in town and things start to get a little more dangerous and twisty, especially when his former best friend Shane shows an interest in Violet.

I took my time reading this book, wanting to soak up every single word. I love Juliette's writing style and she just completely knocks it out of the park with this series. I was laughing at Fred, Violet's elderly rooster, and his preening every time she game him a new bowtie. I was crying when Violet and Nico were forced to dive deep into their emotions. I was smiling with glee multiple times, both from Violet and Nico and the side characters. I loved the glimpses we see of Evie and Mateo and Isadora and Devraj. It was also fun seeing and learning more about Grims, since the bookkeeper/receptionist is a young grim named Sean. I also enjoyed learning more about the different powers/classes of witches. Juliette has done such a fantastic job world building and creating this natural feeling yet vast magic system. It's hard to express how well laid out everything is. I feel like upon my reread I'll find hints laid out in the first couple books and know that there are hints for the remaining in the series.

Also, the steam is on point and Nico is another great hero of the series. It's hard to choose between them, but I think I'm a little more drawn to Devraj. Growing up I was always a vampire girl. 100% vampires, werewolves are stupid, etc, etc. In college by best friend Billy really pushed me to read more werewolf stories, mainly starting with Patricia Briggs. After those I kind of fell into a shifter wormhole and have really come to appreciate shifters (especially bear shifters). I still love vampires a lot, but as I've learned more about myself and my kind of love language, shifters just hit me a lot more in the feels. For most shifter lore touch is a big part of how they react to their loved ones, both romantically and  platonically. I think I've mentioned this before, but my love language is foremost touch. When Violet registers all the little touches that Nico does, on her hands, arms, lower back, etc, it made me swoon so much. I just love how it was Violet from the moment they met and Nico was going to take his time bringing her to the "dark side" until a real threat showed up. I also loved that when Violet decided to move to a romantic relationship, she was all in. There wasn't really any back and forth, she was in it to win it. 

I can't recommend Juliette Cross enough and even if you don't enjoy paranormal romance, I think this series is a great one to try. They have more of a rom-com feel and aren't quite as dark and gritty as most paranormals these days. I also love her other series and need to get through the rest of her backlist as soon as I can. Hopefully by the end of the year! She also announced that there's going to be a holiday anthology out in October called Walking in a Witchy Wonderland. I can't wait for the holiday feel good on top everything else she has in her books. And I'm sure I'll be blown away by the cover. I saw on instagram that there will be a print copy option again since she loves the cover. I'll say it again, read Juliette Cross. She also just launched Hearts Adrift on Amazon's Kindle Vella and it's inspired by the reality show Below Deck (which my boss Patti got me hooked on). Also, if you enjoy romance books and/or podcasts check out the one she holds with her niece Jessen, Smart Women Read Romance. It's my favorite romance podcast and every Wednesday morning love starting my day with them both! Jessen also has a great YouTube channel!

Since it technically isn't out yet...

Will you read Witches Get Stitches?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Witches Get Stitches, Juliette Cross, 5-stars, 2 days, paperback, 378 pages, published in 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...