Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Run Posy Run by Cate C. Wells

🍎🍎🍎🍎

The first book I read for the Dark Romance Readathon was Run Posy Run by Cate C. Wells. I had originally heard about this book from Jen (The Book Refuge) and was intrigued. This was able to hit the scavenger hunt prompts I'll Burn the World Down and That's Wasn't an Enthusiastic Yes. I was also able to apply this to the stand alone prompt for the Summer of Swoon board 2.

Posy is dating Dario and is getting ready for him to propose. She comes home one day after shopping and gets led into his office. He has received a video of her having sex with someone else, her high school boyfriend. The video has been doctored to more currant date. Dario ends up forcing Posy to leave. His driver/2nd hand man drops Posy off at a hotel and recommends she runs. While Dario just wants her to leave, the  head of the mafia isn't going to like "loose ends" running around. She takes off while being both angry at Dario and the situation and also broken-hearted.

I really enjoyed this. I feel like had I been in a different mood, it would be a 5-star. If you've been reading my reviews the past little bit, I've been a bit slumpy and trying to beat back finding myself in a full-blown slump. I was super excited for the readathon and had some good ideas, but I just wasn't in the mood for dark romance. This was still really written well. I also loved the conversations had about sociopaths versus psychopaths. 

I also loved how they both Posy and Dario catalogued and really inspected and tried to understand their feelings. It was really interesting and eye-opening about how much Posy put up with because she wanted to be and be in love so much. She didn't really share her true feelings on things and it became self-destructive. After the break-up and she gets not only her eyes open on her own emotions, but also that Dario is not normal emotionally. I feel like there are a lot of mafia romances where they are called psychopaths or sociopaths, but they're more just crazy criminals. It was really cool to see how a relationship would work with someone with that kind of social disorder. I liked how they both grew and learned about each other. I also really enjoyed that their big connection was board games and more specifically chess. While Dario doesn't really think or believe he can love, he tells Posy that she's the one. When she questions it, he mentions how he almost sees everyone as pieces on the chess board, but Posy is the one on the other side of the board. It just made my board game loving heart so happy and was such a touching statement.

I definitely want to reread this when I'm in the mood for dark romance to see how I'll feel about it then. As I was writing this review I'm kind of thinking of changing it to 5-stars since I'm talking about the things I loved about it. I think I'll leave it 4 for now though and add this to my reread tbr. I'm super intrigued by Cate C. Wells's writing style and will definitely check out her other books. It's always fun to find another new author!

Have you read Run Posy Run?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Run Posy Run, Cate C. Wells, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 260 pages, published in 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...