Friday, October 8, 2021

Magic Mourns by Ilona Andrews

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

I'm so happy to be back in the Kate Daniels world created by Ilona Andrews. If this your fist time here, well first off Welcome! Secondly, I've joined the readalong of the series hosted by Stef, Heather and Megan. They are doing a couple books/novellas a month with a live show discussion. The first novella for this month is Magic Mourns, listed as 3.5 in the series. I actually owned this novella already in paperback as part of the Must Love Hellhounds anthology! I read this during the Love in the Night Readathon and it covered the scavenger hunt clues fated mates, what big teeth you have and shift, baby shift. I also used this to cover the Fall In Love prompt under 300 pages. Magic Mourns also covers the prompts howlin' for you, #squadgoals, who you gonna call? and I put a spell on you for Bang in the Night Bingo.

We shift POV for this novella with Andrea, Kate's best friend, taking point. Kate is recuperating after the harrowing end of Magic Strikes and Andrea is covering her phone. She ends up getting a call about a "big dog" chasing another dog with it's tail on fire. She takes the call and we come to find out that the dog on fire is actually Raphael, the were-hyena that's been trying to woo her. He was unluckily being chased by none other than Cerberus! Andrea takes on Raphael's "case."

This was so cute and I loved getting to see more of Andrea. I love Kate, but it was nice to be behind another bad-ass but with a different vibe. We get to see more Greek mythology incorporated in the world. I loved seeing how Ilona Andrews is incorporating another mythos into the world. We also get to meet Teddy Jo and I really hope that we get to see more of him in the future. I mean, I love him in mythology and really hope he's around. I also love how he talks about all the puppies he has that are Cerberus's offspring. The ending of the novella is really neat too because it's from Teddy's POV and he meets up with Kate. We get a little bit of a hint about how he sees her and Curran's magic. Also, the freaking apple pie reference.

The only thing I wanted was more of the relationship between Raphael and Andrea. We see them finally come together and I just wanted more. We get the tension building between them and then a pretty steamy kiss. Then it's a time jump to the next morning. I know this is an Urban Fantasy with romantic elements. First this is a novella and second I just want it. Especially with everyone talking about how one look at Raphael and all you can think about is sex. Give me the steam that this man can put out. That's really my only gripe outside of it being a novella. 

I would love to see more POVs in the future novellas. As much as I love Kate and Curran, it's nice to see what the other characters are up to as well. Both when Kate is out of commission and other things that are happening simultaneously that we don't get to see. I'm really loving reading this series, as you can probably tell, and can't wait to read more. I'm so happy that it's living up to the hype!

Have you read Magic Mourns?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Magic Mourns, 4-stars, 0 days, paperback, 91 pages, published in 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...