Sunday, April 4, 2021

Bound by Vengeance by Cora Reilly

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

Bound by Vengeance by Cora Reilly is the fifth book in her Born in Blood Chronicles series. This book takes a little bit of a detour into the Las Vegas mafia the Camorra and connects at the end to the previous books of this series. Since we are meeting mostly new characters this book, it was fun to meet some new people in a different mafia. And while it was fine in the other books, it was nice to not have the little time jumps rehashing parts of the plots from previous books again.

The couple of this book is Growl and Cara. Cara's father ends up betraying and stealing from the head of the Camorra (which is the father of the boys the connected series is based on). During the confrontation, Cara stands up slightly for her mother and younger sister, which leads to annoying the boss and he "gifts" her to his head assassin, Growl. It's kind of expected that Growl will torture and rape her and that's more punishment for the family. What's so sweet about this is Growl's feeling that Cara is too good for him and really just wants to take care of her and keep her safe as "his." Now Growl's name is as such since when he was a young child, his mother was killed and he was also target, but somehow lived after having his throat cut. This did damage his vocal chords so his voice is growly, which I absolutely love. The growly voices just do it for me and I'm tempted to re-read this in audio to see how the narrator does it. 

He also has two dogs that he rescued from the fighting pits. Growl's life basically just revolves around his dogs, job and now Cara. I loved how even before the showdown with her father, Cara sees him at a party and feels for him and there's this unexpected attraction. I absolutely loved Growl and that he never pushed anything onto Cara. He's the damaged hero to a tee and I just absolutely adored how willing he eventually came to give everything up for Cara. Growl just wanted Cara so much that he didn't want to let her go and give her back, he just wanted to keep her safe and happy. I loved this book  so much. Of the series I've read so far, this is probably my favorite book (with Dante and Valentina still my favorite couple). I'm excited to keep reading and loved the little sneak peak into what the Camorra Chronicles will bring to Cora Reilly's mafia universe.

Have you read Bound by Vengeance?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Bound by Vengeance, Core Reilly, 5-stars, 0 days, eBook, 257 pages, published in 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...