Friday, October 22, 2021

Riding His Broomstick by Shaw Hart

🍎🍎🍎🍎

Before jumping into some more book club books, I wanted to try to fit in some more Halloween and fall themed books. I had only three prompts left for Fall in Love board one, so also wanted to pick something geared to that. One of the prompts left was office romance I remembered adding Riding His Broomstick to by tbr recently. This cute novella is written by Shaw Hart, another new to me author! This also covered the Bang in the Night Bingo prompts a dark, dark and stormy night, published in October, black cover and trick or treat.

We meet Kennedy, a cleaning person for a local tech company. When she was in middle school she had an accident swimming and bumped her head. She had a lot of trauma and ended up having to relearn how to speak. She was able to get through high school okay, but decided against going for college. She has an insta-love crush on the owner of the company Ian. She notices he's thrown out the invite to the office Halloween party and leaves it on his desk with a note that he should come.

This was such a cute novella and there were a lot of things I like about it. Yes this is insta-love and it pushed it a little much for my enjoyment, but it was still super cute. If I were to be strict this would be more of a 3.5 star rating. I really like how Kennedy was represented, and while it was a little more of tell than show, I liked seeing her be herself and making her trauma and disabilities work. I also loved how cute they were with each other and how dead set they were.

Now my issues. First, they are both virgins. Fine, okay, no big deal. What bothered me was there was no hesitancy or flubs during their first time together. Okay fine, it's in his office. Whatever. But I wanted there to be more fumbling and exploring of each other. Also, I found it a little over the top that Ian held on so long. Just saying. It just didn't feel that realistic. The other big thing that bothered me was the quickness. Yes, it's a novella and supposed to be insta-love, but it was a little too quick. He proposes to her two days after he even knows she exists! Just no. I did like the final chapter showing them 10 years later. During it you learn they were married a week later. Just leave that part out. Okay, get engaged super early, but at least wait a little before getting married. Also there was talk about pushing for grandkids. She's younger than Ian and he's only 25. A little early for the running out of time for babies talk.

It was cute and didn't take me very long. I feel like I need my shorter novellas to be a little more realistic with the HEA. I feel like this would've been 5-stars had there at least been recognition that it was a little quick. If you're looking for a quick Halloween novella for any challenges, certainly check this out. I guess if I have to read an office romance (one of my least favorite tropes), this would be the way to do it.

Have you read Riding His Broomstick?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


    STATISTICS: Riding His Broomstick, Shaw Hart, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 72 pages, published in 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...