Saturday, February 27, 2021

A Wilderness of Glass by Grace Draven

🍎🍎🍎🍎

The last story I had in Grace Draven's Wraith King series was A Wilderness of Glass. This is novella set in the same world, but back in the village that we were introduced to in The Night Tide. There isn't an official number I've seen for this, but it was published before The Ippos King in the Anthology Seasons of Sorcery.

I read this as a stand-alone, although I'd love to have a physical copy of all of this series. Before I get too much into my review, can I first say that I absolutely love these covers. The artwork is so gorgeous. So I knew going in we'd have a difference species (race?), but I was pleasantly surprised it was a merman and human woman romance. I think I've read mermaid romance before, but one of the couple is always able to transform. Here they aren't (although we are introduced to the idea that magic can turn either of them), and I weirdly enjoyed it. I also found it very intriguing that Ahtin had more of a dolphin style tail and that he was more physically compatible with Brida than expected.

I have read alien romances before, but this felt different. A lot of the alien romances I've read still had the "alien" species at least mostly humanoid. This was not and maybe more similar to monster romance? I'm not sure, haven't tried any of those yet, although I have added some recently to my tbr. But back to A Wilderness of Glass. We didn't get any glimpses of the Wraith King Andras except in the beginning, but no mention was made of his hand. This makes me think that this story occurred before Eidolon. I'm very intrigued in how the ocean/water magic and events are going to factor in to the overall story. Brida and Ahtin's romance was so sweet and I loved the connection they formed when she found him and his niece stranded on the beach. I really can't wait to read more from Grace Draven, especially in the Wraith King series. It seems like the magic in the world is getting more complex and we learn more with each entry. I can't wait to read more! Maybe I'll dive into her Master of Crows series next, especially with it being in the same world.

Have you read A Wilderness of Glass?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: A Wilderness of Glass, Grace Draven, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 121 pages, published 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...