Tuesday, February 9, 2021

Fae King by Milly Taiden


🍎🍎🍎 

With some time to spare before I needed to start some book club books, I jumped whole-heartedly into FaRoFeb! The first full fantasy romance I read was Fae King by Milly Taiden. This is the first in her Crystal Kingdom series.

I have read Milly Taiden before and enjoyed her writing. This felt like a shorter read (despite still being over 300 pages). I'm torn on this book. I like it, but there were times that our heroine Kaia frustrated me. Sometimes she spoke too much in colloquialisms and modern metaphors. I feel like we do speak differently and there are a lot of things that people speaking "English" in other dimensions wouldn't understand or take differently, however sometimes it seemed too much. For example, she was complaining about the horse she was riding and how it wasn't a car. When asked what a car was, she just waved Jerrek off and changed the conversation. Why complain to him about it not being a car if you aren't going to explain what it is? I don't know. And there were mentions that she read shifter romances so she could help Jerrek with his "curse." 

I though Jerrek was fine as a fae/shifter hero. I think I just wanted more from all aspects of the book. Everything felt unfinished. I know that this is a series, but being that we're jumping to a new couple, I wanted more development between Jerrek and Kaia. Sometimes it felt like a slow burn and other times like fated mates. I wish that one trope was just followed through on. The same with the world building. It started in depth, but then just stopped. If this was longer and all the concepts focused and explored I feel like this would've been a lot better. I will probably pick up the next 2 just to finish the original three, but it's not at the top of my list.

Have you read Fae King?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Fae King, Milly Taiden, 3-stars, 1 day, eBook, 314 pages, Published 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...