Friday, February 26, 2021

The Ippos King by Grace Draven

 

🍎🍎🍎🍎

The third full novel in Grace Draven's Wraith Kings series is The Ippos King. I continued on in this world after catching up on on a book club book and the Lunar New Year Readathon. I have to say, I loved getting to this series for FaRoFeb.

This was another great entry into the Wraith Kings series. I loved that this was a road trip romance. I was wondering if it would focus on the romance like in Radiance, or have a new "big bad." It was kind of neither. While the romance definitely is a major component of the book, it wasn't quite as centrally focused. We do see Serovek and Anhuset in forced proximity, but I love that it was Ahuset that put herself in that position. I loved how fairly quickly Anhuset stopped fighting and pushing back as much almost right away. 

The reason this was a 4-star instead of a 5 was that it felt a little too long. There were too many twists and turns in the plot. It was nice to see how things are progressing with Megiddo and I just know things are leading up to rescuing him. Although I'm sure he's going to have severe PTSD and maybe other mental issues after being tortured in the galla dimension all this time. Despite the various issues that occurred on the trip, I still had fun. I just though there were too many things, especially since a good chunk of them were wrapped up in this book as well. I almost wish that they were spread between the other books, or just not dealt with directly.

I am definitely continuing in the series and can't wait for the next book, whenever it is. According to the end of The Ippos King, the next book is The Nomas King. We also did get a cameo of the Wraith King from the nomadic/barbarian clans. I'm not sure if it'll focus on him or one of the others. I'm guessing that the last book will deal with Megiddo, or that he's the last solo book (since I can see a final battle book as a finale depending on how the world continues to evolve). 

One more thing I'd like to mention is the nicknames Grace Draven's characters give each other. I absolutely love that Serovek calls Ahuset his "firefly woman." It just gives me all of the feels. (As a side note, I don't think I mentioned it in either of the previous reviews, but Ildiko and Brishen call each other "Woman of Day" and "Prince of Night.") I'm super excited to get to the last novella set in this world and get completely caught up!

Have you read The Ippos King?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: The Ippos King, Grace Draven, 4-stars, 3 days, eBook, 437 pages, published 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...