Tuesday, February 23, 2021

A Big Surprise for Valentine's Day by Jackie Lau

 

🍎🍎🍎🍎

The fourth and final book I read for the  Lunar New Year Readathon hosted by LaceyBookLovers and remarkablylisa was the fourth and final book in Jackie Lau's Holidays with the Wongs series. I read A Big Surprise for Valentine's Day on Valentine's Day. I did a brief overview of the series in my review of book 3

The last book focuses on the only daughter of the Wong family, Amber. She runs into her brother's friend from childhood, although their families on both sides were friends. Sebastian had moved away for university and his residency (he's a doctor). Now he's back and living in the next town over (the same as Amber) and they run into each other in the family planning section at the grocery store. I love how instant the chemistry is between them and that they both almost enjoy the forbidden feeling between them since they knew each other as kids. We also get an outrageous "girls day" scene with Amber, her mom and grandmother that had me dying of laughter. Ah Ma get completely drunk off of a pina colada and it's just great fun. Plus Amber and Sebastian are so well suited in the bedroom. Oh, and how can I forget to mention that Amber is a crafter! She crochets and makes funny cross-stitches. She loves making and people always tell her to sell things, but she doesn't want to make her hobby her job in that way. Be still my beating heart.

I didn't mention this in my previous review, but another thing I love about Jackie Lau is the way the "conflicts" are between the couple. Everyone always seems so emotionally mature and wants to talk things out. If they run from a situation, it doesn't last long. It's so low angst and just something that makes me happy reading and gives me all of the feels. If I could move to a fictional world by any contemporary author, it would hands down be Jackie Lau. This was such a cute wrap up to the end of the series and I'm sure we'll see them mentioned or in the background of her other books. She does Easter Eggs for her other couples so brilliantly! I was excited to see that she released a compendium of all four books in print and this is at the top of my wish-list!

Have you read A Big Surprise for Valentine's Day?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: A Big Surprise for Valentine's Day, Jackie Lau, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 116 pages, published 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...