Sunday, January 24, 2021

A Notorious Vow by Joanna Shupe

 

🍎🍎🍎🍎

After reading the first two books in the Four Hundred series by Joanna Shupe, I immediately jumped into A Notorious Vow. This is the buddy read for the Historical Romance Readathon hosted by LaceyBookLoversPeaceLoveBooksxo, and remarkablylisa

Since I just jumped right in and didn't read the blurb first, I was pleasantly surprised to find our hero Oliver was deaf. I don't think I've read a romance where one of the main characters was fully death before. Oliver was such fun as a recluse and I love that he immediately made Christina feel comfortable. In town to find a husband (after her horrible parent's escaped London and creditors), they are in New York to basically sell her to the highest bidder. Oliver lives next door to Christina's cousin and would sneak next door to wander through his garden maze every morning to get some quiet. 

I thought that Oliver and Christina had a wonderful connection right from the start and I loved that they both were kind of recluses. Christina is a wallflower to the nth degree and very introverted. I found myself relating to her a lot, especially when she was forced to join a society event. This is only four-stars for me because I wasn't a fan of the asylum and "villains" at the end. While they felt in the vein as the first two books, I wasn't as fond of how it played out. I know it was based off of real events that happened in that time, but I just wasn't expecting to go that dark (not that it was very dark, just comparatively). I still loved both characters and the story overall. As I mentioned in a previous review, I'm so happy I finally started reading Joanna Shupe and can't wait to read more of her backlist.

Have you read A Notorious Vow?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: A Notorious Vow, Joanna Shupe, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 384 Pages, Published 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...