Saturday, January 30, 2021

The Hunter by Kerrigan Byrne

 

🍎🍎🍎🍎

For week 2 of the Kerrigan Byrne Victorian Rebels Series read along by the Romance Book Squad (hosted by  AleciaNatashaKrystal and Kerry), we had Book Two: The Hunter. This one was a hard one for me to settle on a rating for. I enjoyed it a lot more than The Highwayman. But as I mentioned in that review, it could be partly due to the hype not influencing my expectations near as much. I think if I were to go into quarter and half stars, The Highwayman would be more of a 3.75 stars and The Hunter would be 4.25 and both be rounded to 4-stars. 

I was way more drawn to Christopher as a hero, and liked that there wasn't really any obvious signs between the him and Millie that were ignored by the characters. Well, I guess there was, but the characters were aware that they were intentionally choosing to ignore it. I liked Millie as heroine and this has been a different kind of journey for me since I usually stick to the nobility or higher born characters when reading regency era historical romance. I felt for Christopher and his circumstances growing up and loved how Millie completely wrecked him from the first moment. I did kind of see the truth about Jakub coming, as well as her hidden innocence. 

The biggest problem I had with was the last 15ish percent of the book. I feel like we only really needed one attempt on Millie's life to bring Christopher to realize how much he needed to push past the fear of being with her. I felt like the two villians could've been condensed into one situation. I found myself saying, "Again? Didn't we just do this?" That really is what is holding me back from giving this 5-stars.

The next is Dougan's half-brother, the "Demon Highlander" and will also feature a side character from this book, Philomena. I can't wait to start The Highlander and this is the most excited I've been! I would've started it right after The Hunter if it wasn't already almost midnight when I finished.

Have you read The Hunter?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎



STATISTICS: The Hunter, Kerrigan Byrne, 4-stars, 1 day, eBook, 412 pages, Published 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...