Monday, January 25, 2021

The Highwayman by Kerrigan Byrne


 πŸŽπŸŽπŸŽπŸŽ

January 17th, 2021 marked the start of the Romance Book Squad's second read-a-long with Kerrigan Byrne's Victorian Rebels Series. The Book Squad is hosted by Alecia, Natasha, Krystal and Kerry. The first is The Highwayman. Kerrigan Byrne has been on my tbr for quite a while now, so I was excited to have the extra excuse to get to her books.

I loved the premise of this so much. Farah and Dougan found each other while children in a orphanage in Scotland, and come to find each other later in life. Now Dougan is Blackwell, a notorious criminal and lord. There were a lot of things I loved about this book, the main thing being Kerrigan's writing style. The way she described things and portrayed emotions throughout was really captivating. Going in, I knew that her books were a little bit darker for Historical Romance. However, I have heard so many people rave about her books. Think this is a 4-stars, mainly for that reason. I was expecting something to completely blow me away, but it didn't quite hit light I though it was going to. I think the hype just caused me to feel a little bit let down.

I still loved the book and the opening chapters (once we were in "present" day) we very gripping. I do have to say, I wanted more grovel from Blackwell. Also, his comfortability with being with Farah, both intimately and just platonically felt a little rushed. If he really was that triggered by being touched, it wouldn't take one bout of great sex and Farah being kidnapped (again) to make him okay with it. I don't know, it just felt like there could've been more emotionally between. I guess, not that I'm typing my thoughts out, I wanted there to be more conversation between them that wasn't baiting each other or kind-of arguing. Overall, I still enjoyed the books. It'll be interesting (for me) to see how I respond to other books after reading this one. Now the bar is kind of reset for the rest of the series. I'll probably re-read this later to see what my feelings are after getting through it, but I want to wait at least 6 months before doing so. 

Have you read The Highwayman?

Bookishly Yours, 

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: The Highwayman, Kerrigan Byrne, 4-stars, 3 days, eBook, 356 pages, Published 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...