Friday, September 24, 2021

To Hate Adam Connor by Ella Maise

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

After bingeing To Love Jason Thorn in one sitting, I immediately jumped into book two of the Love & Hate series, To Hate Adam Connor by Ella Maise. Like I mentioned in my previous review, the books do have illustrated covers now, so I purchased both in paperback before the change. I just love these covers so much more. Plus they have a white/super pale gray base and spine and love the way they look on my shelf. I applied this to the prompt over 300 pages for Fall in Love.

We pick up shortly after the previous book, with Lucy getting left by Jameson. They've graduated and he moved to Pittsburgh, without asking her to come with. Suddenly without a place to live, Lucy moves in with Olive and Jason while she tries to find a job and new place. Also just moved in is Jason's movie star neighbor Adam. He's been in the tabloid recently after divorcing his wife. Of course Jason doesn't jump at the chance to introduce everyone, so Olive and Lucy spy on the neighbor. When Olive and Jason have to head to London for a week, Lucy continues her spying escapade, especially when she hears him in the backyard with his 5-year old son Aiden. One afternoon, she sees Aiden left alone in the back and ends up almost drowning in the pool. She jumps the fence and saves him, only to be thrown in jail for trespassing and treated like a stalker. Even though she's a fan and has the hots for Adam, she now hates him. Adam needs a new caretaker for Aiden, and Lucy ends up being the only viable option.

I loved this book just as much as the first, but in a different way. Lucy is dealing with a lot of trauma from her childhood and finally caving to a relationship with Jameson did it's damage as well. I loved how connected Adam and Lucy were and the progression of their relationship. They both tried to fight it as much as they could, but the more Adam saw Lucy with his son and her view on life, the more he wanted to get to know her. Then when he finally gets a peek at her vulnerabilities, he's almost immediately a goner. And while I thought To Love Jason Thorn was steamy, hoo boy does Adam know how to get it. I feel like there's more scenes with Jason, but Adam is definitely spicier.

I didn't really like the ex drama here, especially when it's treated as an evil ex. I feel like it's been overdone in the past, but it didn't feel clichΓ© here. I understood the split and why she was "evil." She just was a self-centered actress that wanted her career back that she had in her youth. I didn't like how she treated Adam and Aiden. I know that it was a tough decision for Adam and why he waited so long, but I did wish he pushed for sole custody earlier. Especially when Aiden constantly didn't want to visit his mom for more than a couple days, if at all. I'm a big fan of single dad romances and really enjoyed how there wasn't really an issue made about Aiden or the fact that he was a single-parent. Once again we didn't really get any of the stereotypical "he's too good for me" drama common with celebrity romances. I loved how firm Adam was with Lucy and wouldn't let her hide herself or her feelings. While he did push her at times, I loved how he stepped back just as often. He was just perfect.

I really loved these two books and am adding Ella Maise to the top of my contemporary tbr. I really want to read her other books and have heard great things about Marriage for One. Maybe that'll be the next one I pick up. I mentioned this before, but I wish there were more friends of these four so we could have more books. I want more in this world, and would love a romance where the woman is the star. I don't think there will be more based on what I've seen on her website, but a girl can dream.

Have you read To Hate Adam Connor?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: To Hate Adam Connor, Ella Maise, 5-stars, 1 day, paperback, 430 pages, published in 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...