Friday, September 10, 2021

Live and Let Grow by Penny Reid

🍎🍎🍎🍎

Wanting to find two shorter books to finish off the Summer of Swoon board 3, I looked for something that would cover recent release. When going through my want-to-read shelf on goodreads, I realized that Penny Reid released Live and Let Grow in eBook format. This was originally something she released in parts via her newsletter, but I wanted to wait until it was all out to read it. I never did get around it, but definitely picked up the eBook version.

Milo and Alice have been best friends since college. Alice has finally moved on from her divorce from her highschool sweetheart and wants to confess her feelings to Milo. Milo frequently travels for months at a time and has harbored feelings for Alice since college.

This was such a cute story. While I wanted more, I always do from Penny Reid, I feel like it was complete. Going the mutual pining and friends to lovers route was a really smart idea for the shortness. I loved both Alice and Milo and was so frustrated when they just wouldn't stop and talk to each other about everything. I was rooting so hard for them to be together.

Why the 4-stars? Alice's sister. I didn't like the advice she was giving and how she was pushing Alice. It felt disjointed and like she didn't really know Milo or even Alice all that well. It just felt off. While there was a little bit of a discussion about kind of forcing Alice to start dating, there was never a discussion about her misconceptions about Milo. Also, Milo is 40 and Alice is in her late 30s and I wanted her to stand up to her sister more. It doesn't matter that she's really only had one relationship in her life so far, she's still a grown woman and knows what she wants. If anything the experience with her ex just solidifies it even more.

This was such a cute story and it's been a while since I've read anything from Penny Reid. She has some of my favorite contemporary romances and I absolutely adore her Knitting in the City series. I've been meaning to jump into her expanded universes through Smarty Pants Romance, but there's almost too much I haven't quite decided where to jump in yet. I definitely need to and own quite a few of the books in paperback. If you're looking for a cute, quick and steamy read, definitely check Live and Let Grow out!

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Live and Let Grow, Penny Reid, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 75 pages, published in 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...