Tuesday, September 7, 2021

Man Vs. Durian by Jackie Lau

🍎🍎🍎🍎

So, during my reread of Jackie Lau's Baldwin Village series I made a discovery. I never read book three, Man Vs. Durian! It's been my favorite series by her and I couldn't believe I never got around to reading it! I thought I did but maybe didn't mark it on goodreads, but once I got into it, nope never read. I don't know how I missed finishing the series. I also applied this to the prompt starts with the letter m for the Summer of Swoon board 3!

Book three picks up with Valerie, Chloe's best friend and co-worker. She is very grumpy and has had some trauma, and we finally learn. She was basically kicked out of her software development job and also had a bad break up with her boyfriend after 3+ years. One of her favorite fruits is durian. While eating a cone of durian ice cream, she runs into Peter, and local landscaper. He hates the smell (and taste) of durian and immediately whips his durian coated shirt off. Valerie offers him a free cone while she cleans up her shirt. They have a cute conversation, but she denies Peter when he asks her out. She does however propose a fake relationship to get her mother off her back.

This was so cute, but certainly felt heavier that the rest of the series. I like how Jackie Lau weaves in modern issues into her books without being heavy handed and/or preachy. Valerie was working in STEM, but after sexual harassment charges against her boss led to her quitting her job but then blackballed from the industry. There is discussion about how at least she's lucky that she had somewhere to land. There are many women in STEM and male dominant careers that can't necessarily say something without possibly losing their homes or more.

Peter was such an easy-going, go-with-the-flow type of personality. He's a rare male in that he loves being in a relationship and is really good at it. I loved the little nods to that he doesn't just buy gifts or do the stereotypical things for Valerie, but really hones in on what she wants, enjoys and needs to be happy. I loved how relaxed and understanding he was about everything, but I did feel a little bad that he ended up getting hurt a little in the end. That was really the only thing I wanted addressed. While I understood the questioning of Valerie and Peter seeming too good to be true, but I also wished she realized or they discussed that her being so cautious did hurt Peter sometimes. It was mentioned a little at the end, but he just kind of brushed it aside. Another thing I want to mention is that we get some diversity with the steamier scenes here. Valerie is unable to orgasm normally and has only been able to previously with a vibrator. I loved that even though they had very hot encounters, it was also not perfect. I loved how Peter was willing to do things not in the normal way to make sure that they both were able to find pleasure. It was just so nice to see.

Once again, I feel like a broken record, but I can't recommend Jackie Lau more. She is one of my favorite contemporary authors. I feel like she addresses more heavy topics in a light and poignant way that doesn't feel heavy handed and preachy. I would love to live in her universe, especially with all the good food. It makes me want to move to Toronto!

Have you read Man Vs. Durian?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Man Vs. Durian, Jackie Lau, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 197 pages, published in 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...