Saturday, July 3, 2021

The Wrong Marquess by Vivienne Lorret

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

The final book I read for June was a new release on the 29th, The Wrong Marquess by Vivienne Lorret. This is the 3rd book in her Mating Habits of Scoundrels series and one of my most anticipated releases of 2021. This is my 3rd read of the Historical Romance Readathon. The Wrong Marquess covers the prompts spinster, wallflower, clinch cover and in a series. I am also able to apply it to the prompts summer release for the Romancing Summer Challenge, anticipated 2021 release for Summer of Swoon and fiends to lovers for the Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo.

This book is centered around Ellie. Of the friend group she's been tasked to write the portion of their book on marriage-minded gentlemen. She's thought to be perfect for this because she has had an understanding with her childhood neighbor and friend George, a Marquess. Since it has always been there, she's never really pursued anyone. As Ellie is 25 now, she is out for one last season and hoping that George finally gets his act together and proposes. At a garden party, she runs into Brandon, the Marquess of Hullsworth. He has been monikered the "most elusive bachelor" of the ton and is constantly fending off marriage-minded mamas and debutantes. They literally run into each other and Brandon assumes Ellie is like everyone else and gives her the cut. She however isn't and gets the worst first impression of Brandon. She soon meets his sister Meg and they become fast friends.

As mentioned above, this is one of my most anticipated books of the year and Vivienne Lorret did not disappoint. This surpassed all of my expectations. I was laughing at the antics of Ellie's Aunts and everyone's banter. I was tearing up when George was treating Ellie so horribly. He just expected that she'd always be there when he was ready and really didn't treat her how she deserved. Brandon and Ellie had such a visceral connection and I loved every moment they were together, even when he was still pushing against her when he thought her friendship was all a ploy to be near him. While I can see how others might not enjoy it as much, Vivienne just writes in a way that speaks to me. Stepping back I can see how others might not enjoy how obsessed she was about being 25 years old and on the precipice of "old age." I just found it humorous because it was a little over the top.

I also loved how once they had their encounter at the zoo, Brandon was straight out just saying that he was going to pursue Ellie. Granted at that point he still thought George was imaginary. He didn't push too much and when Ellie needed him to back off he did. This just hit all of the notes I like in the more modern historicals and can't wait for the next two books. I knew from her newsletter that book 4 is supposed to be Prue's book and that there would be a 5th book about a character we met her. The instant Ellie met Meg I was really hoping that she was the new heroine. I also was really drawn to Lord Savage and was guessing maybe he'd be paired with Meg. The end of the epilogue teases that Prue and Lord Savage will be the couple for book 4. I can't wait for the next installment and it looks like it'll be out sometime next year.

This book has further cemented Vivienne Lorret as a favorite author and I really need to get to the few remaining books I have in her backlist to read. I loved this book so much and almost want to reread it again after the readathon. I might wait until later in the year though. This is definitely one of my favorite reads of the year and I went through a little bit of a book hangover after getting through it. I almost feel like I should've saved it as my last read for the readathon. If you haven't tried Vivienne Lorret, certainly give her a try. If anything maybe start with this book. The only thing I thing that's not really covered as much is the set-up of the book they're writing. You get the basics about Ellie's portion though. Also, I received a pre-order bonus of a short story from Avon about Aunt Lolly and Pirate, Sir Roderick Divine. They were both in the first book of the series, Lord Holt Takes a Bride. I can't wait to get to it as well!

Have you read The Wrong Marquess?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: The Wrong Marquess, Vivienne Lorret, 5-stars, 0 days, Paperback, 384 pages, published in 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...