Saturday, July 17, 2021

The Daring Twin by Donna Fletcher

🍎🍎🍎🍎

After jumping on Tempting Auzed after it's release, I went back to looking for books to fill prompts for the Summer of Swoon. One of the last prompts I had for the first board was sunrise and sunset on the cover. I guess I was thinking too much about it and was really stumped. After the Historical Romance Readathon, I rearranged my shelves a little and just happened to see that The Daring Twin was such a cover! Loving Donna Fletcher, I immediately knew that this would be option. This is the first book in her Twin duology. I was also able to apply this to the Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo for the bodyguard prompt.

Our twins are Aliss and Fiona. They are practically identical, but have differing personalities. Of the two Fiona is the headstrong protector, great at hunting and sword play. Aliss is more caring and known as a healer. After their parents pass, they move to their Uncle's clan. Now he has passed however and his son has promised the one with more courage, aka Fiona, to the head of Clan Hellewyk, Tarr. She does not want to get married without love and will not be separated from her twin. They decide to both temper their personalities between the two so nobody can tell them apart. Tarr ends up taking them both back to his clan to figure out which one is Fiona and then wed her.

First off, I didn't read the blurb before reading this book. I did know from reviews or videos I saw that they played this twin game. Of course I got super excited when it got to that part because my silly head decided this was going to be my favorite trope and Tarr was going to fall in love with the "wrong" twin. He'd come to learn that she was just as courageous, just in a different way. After the first few chapters though, and staying in Fiona's point of view I had to read the synopsis. I was wrong. I got myself so hyped up for no reason. I maybe should've read the blurb before starting and wonder if that is part of the reason I didn't enjoy this as much. I have to say that even though I liked this, my rating would more be a 3.5-stars and this is my least favorite so far of Donna Fletcher. 

Fiona and Tarr were both very stubborn, but Fiona really started getting on my nerves. She just wanted to be in love so much, but then wouldn't agree or believe Tarr when he realized he did fall in love with her. There was even one moment where she chastised herself for pushing back against him so much, but then immediately did it again. It took quite a few people for her to really realize how he felt, but then it felt like she let him in too easy and everything flipped. There was also a lot of time spent on other mysteries as we find out the twins aren't who they thought they were. Another thing that bothered me was the abrupt ending. We kind of get Tarr and Fiona's hea with their wedding, but there is a meeting in 5 days with the wolf clan that wasn't held. I'm not sure if the overarching storyline with the Wolf Clan continues in the 2nd book, but I did scroll back a little bit to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'm intrigued by Aliss's book and hope to get to it soon. 

I also really loved Tarr. And while he was stubborn, he felt more level-headed and willing to reflect on  his words and actions. I feel like he did way more growing than Fiona, and maybe that's why I had some issues with Fiona. I did love her strength and not being the stereotypical woman for that time period. Tarr also never really tried to change her, just get to rely on others outside himself. And let him know when she left the keep. I will definitely continue reading Donna Fletcher and will get to Aliss's book soon. Even though I didn't love this as much as the others I've read from her, the writing is still very engaging and easy to read. I can't wait to read more of her backlist! (There's also a small part of me that wishes it was the wrong sibling trope still.)

Have you read The Daring Twin?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: The Daring Twin, Donna Fletcher, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 384 pages, published in 2005

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...