Thursday, July 22, 2021

Hello Stranger by Lisa Kelypas

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

Continuing with my Ravenels reread, the next book I had was number four, Hello Stranger. In case this is your first post of mine that you're reading, I've been rereading Lisa Kleypas's Ravenels series in preparation for the 7th book to come out later this month. When I first mentioned doing my rereads, I couldn't quite remember where I left off (and didn't mark them on my goodreads for some reason). I wasn't sure if I had read Hello Stranger or not, but the verdict is in! This was reread for me. I believe that the books I have left will be new reads for me. Don't ask me why I stopped reading the series. I'm sure it was me waiting for the next book to be released and then just never getting to it. Anyways, I was able to apply this book to the Summer of Swoon prompt part of a series on board 2 and the Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo prompt of construction.

We get teasers of this romance starting in book 2, Marrying Winterborne. We have the first female doctor in England Garret that became friends with Helen and started working at Winterborne's (the department store). The former Scotland Yard detective Ethan has been attracted to her from the start. However he's not kind of a spy/assassin for a secret part of the home office and tries to stay away from her. He's been following her on her weekly Tuesday visits for charity services. She ends up being accosted and Ethan leaves the shadows and they meet once again. Now however there is a spark between them that really starts to grow.

I really enjoyed this reread. I remember not being as into this book before and didn't rate it as high. I do think if I were to be strict it'd be more of a 4.5-star rating instead of a full 5-stars. I could definitely appreciate this more now than when I read it a few years ago. I feel like sometimes the feminism can be pushed a little too much and a lot of newer historical romances kind of suffer from that. Here there is quite a bit of the individualism of Garrett and her being her own woman, but it was done really naturally and didn't feel like we, the reader, were getting beat over the head with Garrett's independence. It was done so well and it wasn't really part of the big conflict between them. She did make a point that she didn't want to marry and be forced to become the stay-at-home wife, but she never really felt that Ethan would do that to her. It was more society and "men" as a whole.

If you haven't read the Ravenels I couldn't recommend the series more, especially if you prefer the more modern historicals. Lisa Kleypas writes so well and really pulls you into her world and makes you want to be apart of one of her families. I'm super excited to get to the last two books and the new release. There are more people starting to read their arcs or received/found early copies of The Devil in Disguise and have been saying it's one of their favorite reads of the year and/or of all Lisa Kleypas's works. I just hope I'm not too hyped when I finally get to it. If anyone can live up to the hype, Lisa Kleypas is definitely on the short list.

Have you read Hello Stranger?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Hello Stranger, Lisa Kleypas, 5-stars, 0 days, eBook, 405 pages, published in 2018

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...