Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Single Dad Seeks Juliet by Max Monroe

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

Continuing my contemporary binge over the weekend, I decided to jump to one of the contemporaries that would cover prompts for both challenges I have going right now. I decided to pick up Single Dad Seeks Juliet by Max Monroe. This is the first book in their Single Dad Collection and also the first book I've read from this writer duo. I was able to use this read to cover the prompts one of Shelby's favorite authors for Summer of Swoon board 2 and reality tv for the Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo.

Jake is a single dad, in his early 40s and a former Navy SEAL. His daughter Chloe is about to enter her senior year in high school and is worried about her dad being lonely after she goes to college. The local paper is running a Bachelor Anonymous event based off of the Bachelor tv show. To pick the bachelor, participants are to submit an ad for the paper to run and readers would vote on who the lucky bachelor is! Holley is our writer for the newspaper and set to run the series of articles, despite not wanting anything to do with it. She's still getting over her former fiancΓ© not only cheating on her, but getting the other woman pregnant and them marrying her shortly after their break up. When she meets Jake to not only convince him to join the event, but to set up the dates things they start to connect more than expected.

First off, this book is absolutely hilarious. I was laughing so much throughout this book and it really hit the spot. I couldn't put it down and ended up staying up until after one and crashing while I was still reading it. At 86% done. Holley is a hot mess and I could relate to her so much. While my hot mess tendencies tend not get that extreme, I've definitely had moments like her before. Some of my favorite scenes were when Jake was waiting for her somewhere and she's walking to meet him and doesn't realize he's watching and things just start to happen, She goes to fix her shoe and almost falls then in correcting her balance drops her bag which of course falls upside-down and things start rolling away and just keeps going. I also love how Jake kept thinking she's a complete hot mess but couldn't stay away. Their banter was on point. While sometimes the "old talk" was a little much at times, come on Holley - you're the same age as me and in an industry that uses social media, it was still hilarious.

I absolutely loved Chloe. She felt like a mature teenager for her age, but still a teenager. Being raised by a single parent and having been a more mature teenager myself, she felt so real and relatable. I also loved the relationship between her and Jake. It was such a great father-daughter relationship and made Jake even more swoony (as Holley pointed out). I can't say how much I loved this book. It really hit the contemporary feeling I was looking for, but brought the rom-com elements that I feel are hard to hit, especially with a lot of the newer releases.

I'm so happy to finally read a Max Monroe book. They've been on my tbr for a while now and why did I not read them earlier? This series is definitely added to my tbr and I'm going to continue this series and get to Max Monroe's backlist for sure. I know that humor is subjective and I'm a little easier to make laugh than others, but this book really had me laughing and chuckling so many times. The romance was so nice too. I also liked the way the bachelor-esque feel happened without feeling as weird as the show does. I also loved Holley's dad. There's so much I love about this book! I could keep talking about the things I loved, but we should probably just end it here.

Have you read Single Dad Seeks Juliet?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Single Dad Seeks Juliet, Max Monroe, 5-stars, 1 day, eBook, 330 pages, published in 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...