Tuesday, August 24, 2021

How to Propose to a Prince by Kathryn Caskie

🍎🍎🍎🍎

After quickly getting through the first two books in Kathryn Caskie's Royle Sisters trilogy, I immediately jumped into How to Propose to a Prince. This is the third and final book in the trilogy. I mentioned this in my previous reviews, but Kathryn is a new author for me and I am going to enjoy getting through her backlist. I did find out that she passed in 2017, so I wanted to mention it once again. Update: I applied this to the prompt of underrated author for the 3rd board of Summer of Swoon.

The 3rd sister is Elizabeth, the youngest and red-headed of the trio. She has a dream that she will marry a prince. Her sister Anne jokes with her about it, only to run into him on the street. They follow him into a jewelry store to see if the physical description Elizabeth had from her dream matches, to find out that it does and he's rumored to be Prince Leopold. However, he's in town to woo Princess Charlotte and receive Prinny's blessing for the marriage. What Elizabeth doesn't know, the Prince that she met is actually his cousin and main guard, dressing as him due to some threats made against the Prince.

This was a really good end to the trilogy, but I didn't quite love it as much as the first two. First I'll talk about the things I didn't enjoy. I was really frustrated with Anne in this book and how she kept dismissing Elizabeth. We've seen once or twice in the previous books her have dreams that came true. Anne immediately doesn't believe Elizabeth and even starts to make fun of her for it. I did not like that one bit. Not only did I wish there was more of that mystical element, maybe she has more than the couple dreams in the beginning, but I didn't like how Anne discounted Elizabeth. They joke with her that her dreams only are half true usually, but everything we've been shown in the series has been 100% true. It's just been her interpretations about the circumstances that are slightly off. I also didn't like how the old rakes that are were taking care of the triplets kind of ignored her as well. I wasn't ever quite sure who they were trying to pair her with here, but I wasn't a fan of how they treated her in this book. It just felt so different from the first two.

Another thing I want to mention is I wish that Sumner came clean earlier about who he really was. Elizabeth really tried to be trusting and believing in him, but I would've like the reveal to happen just a little bit earlier. I loved their connection though and how drawn to each other. I didn't quite enjoy the meet cute as much this time around, but it was pretty cute. Just didn't grab me like the other two. I did enjoy how when Elizabeth wasn't around those that were disparaging her, I really loved her character. It's just hard to always connect when she's constantly having to defend herself and push for what she believes. Also, I wasn't a fan of how the mystery of their parentage wrapped up. I didn't like the announcement that the old rakes made. The girls had all agreed that it didn't matter about their past, but their future and how they were all able to find love. I also loved the epilogue and had a guess that that was what was happening with Aunt Prudence. I just wish the old rakes hadn't made that weird and obviously false announcement. The sisters could've been happy and not want to actively look for evidence of their birth without it actually being ended. I also wasn't a huge fan of Princess Charlotte, but she did manipulate the situation for some forced proximity for Sumner and Elizabeth.

I didn't really talk about it too much since there were a lot of little things that bothered me, but I really did enjoy this book overall. Sumner was such a swoony gentleman and I loved the connection between them. There were so many moments when they were drawn to each other without knowing. I also loved that when they came back to town he kept finding ways to secretly "blow" her kisses. So swoony.

I really enjoyed the trilogy and I can't wait to read more from Kathryn Caskie. I have already ordered most of her other series and hopefully they come sometime soon. I'm glad I'm back in the historical romance mood, especially since I have a couple more to read this month for book clubs. I always love finding new authors, and if you are into historical romances from the 2000s I highly recommend you check these books out!

Have you read How to Propose to a Prince?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: How to Propose to a Prince, Kathryn Caskie, 4-stars, 0 days, paperback, 368 pages, published in 2008

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...