Sunday, August 1, 2021

The Rebel by Sophie Lark

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

Moving right along, the second book in Sophie Lark's Kingmakers series is The Rebel. In case you weren't already aware, the fourth and final book in the series came out last week. To celebrate and discuss, Sophie will be doing another live show on Jenn's (The Book Refuge) channel on August 7th. They did mention there will be spoilers, so I wanted to binge the series before then. I was also able to apply The Rebel to my Summer of Swoon board 2 covering the prompt diverse main character.

Our intrepid and charming hero is Miles, the eldest son of Callum and Aida (from Brutal Prince). We actually got to see him as a baby at the end of the series. His heroine is Zoe, a dorm-mate and friend of Anna's from The Heir. Miles is a year ahead of his cousins and Zoe. He's well known as the school smuggler and charms most everybody. He's saving up money to start his own music/celebrity management company and loves doing things behind the scenes and setting up others to succeed. Zoe, as we found out earlier, is betrothed to a student at the school named Rocco. He's known to be a sadistic psychopath and gets a lot of enjoyment and amusement out of Zoe's disdain for him. After an event over the summer, he decides to manipulate Zoe's younger sister's future and she gets switched from going to an art college to joining Zoe at college. Her name is Cat and is very timid. Zoe is really going through on the marriage to protect her younger sister. Now that she's also at Kingmakers, things start to change. Once Miles realizes that Zoe is his soulmate, all bets are off. 

Before I get too much into my review, I do want to mention that the third pov in this book is Cat. I didn't mind her as the third pov at all and really enjoyed seeing a different perspective of the school. Also you get to learn more about the spies since she was placed in that house. I really liked how almost slow-burn feeling Zoe and Miles's relationship was. Another thing I really liked was how their outward personalities differed so much, yet they were really similar deep down and saw past all of the pomp. It was also really fun to see pieces of Aida and Callum in Miles. I don't want to give too much away, but I enjoyed this book a lot more. While Rocco was a complete dick and I hated his scenes, I knew this was a romance. Trusting in Sophie and knowing that there had to be a hea made it easier to get through the tougher scenes. He just was so good at both physically and emotionally hurting and triggering Zoe.

I really liked this a lot more, but it also didn't have a trope that was super hard for me to get behind. While I liked the big competition scenes in the first book, I did wish that it wasn't taking up so much time in this one, especially with neither of them being captain. It was still fun though. I'm super intrigued by the set up for The Bully and can't wait to see how Cat evolves. I also want to see how Dean changes and falls for Cat. This binge is certainly helping keep my reading slump at bay which is nice as well.

Have you read The Rebel?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: The Rebel, Sophie Lark, 5-stars, 2 days, eBook, 526 pages, published in 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...