Wednesday, June 9, 2021

A Bullet Between Us by K. Dosal

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

A Bullet Between Us by K. Dosal was the second book I read for the Mafia Romance Readathon. This is the first book in her Moretti Crime Family series. This is also her first adult novel, her previous publications being young adult contemporaries. This is also a new release, coming out May 26th; just in time for the readathon! I used this book for the new author and Italian mob prompts. I also was able to cover the HEA prompt for the Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo, new author prompt for Summer of Swoon and published in 2021 prompt for the Romancing Summer Challenge.

I loved this book! It is one of my favorite mafia romances so far. I just loved how different it was from others I've read. We start off in New York with our heroine Davina witnessing a murder by the mafia. She ends up almost dying and with the help of the stranger that called for the ambulance. After some slightly terrifying encounters, she ends up running to Florida. She's received some mysterious texts from the Miami police chief and he's putting her in a safe house. He tasks our hero Ilias to be one of her two guards. Unbeknownst to the the chief, Ilias's brothers are apart of the Florida grouping of the same mafia. Ilias is not a made man, just a police officer that can offer inside information (which let's be honest, is pretty smart).

Ilias starts to get intrigued by Devina and decides to help her through her trauma and start living again. I love how well the trauma aspect was written and how he tries to help give her tips on self-defense and how to survive. Ilias also trains dogs and brings his Doberman Boris to come stay with Devina. I loved Boris, he was such a sweetheart. Like I mentioned, I loved how Devina and Ilias both worked through her trauma. It felt very realistic, and while I haven't been through a trauma that extreme, it felt realistic. I could understand where both of them were coming from and wasn't frustrated at all by the conflicting feelings Devina was feeling. It was just written so well. Eventually the mafia catches up to Devina and there are some crazy twists and turns. I loved the way the story evolved and that when Devina said she loved Ilias for who he was at his core, it didn't matter as much how his role in his family changed. It was so beautiful. I also love how it's a mix of found and blood family ties that connects the brothers. I'm intrigued to see the other brothers get their HEAs (assuming they each get a book).

I also love that they were so open about their communication about how they were feeling with each other. While they both hid things, when they were revealed there was no overreaction and big fight. I just loved how much these two went through and really feel like no matter what life sends their way in the future, they'll get through it for the ultimate HEA. I'm sure you can tell, but I just love this book so much. The next book is listed on goodreads as A War Around Us, but that's all it says outside of "coming soon." I'm assuming it'll be about the arranged marriage that was set up at the end of A Bullet Between Us, but who knows. I'm definitely going to continue the series and love the different feel of this. At the end of the readathon I actually purchased the paperback version of this book because I just had to have it on my shelves.

Have you read A Bullet Between Us?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: A Bullet Between Us, K. Dosal, 5-stars, 0 days, eBook, 387 pages, published in 2021

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...