Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Pizza My Heart by Frankie Love

🍎🍎🍎

With a little bit more time before some book club books, I wanted to shoot to fill more prompts and finish out my Romancing Summer Challenge. I wanted to go with another novella since I had a busy afternoon and didn't get much time to read before bed. I decided to go with one of the food based novellas by Frankie Love. The first book in her Way To A Man's Heart series is Pizza My Heart. I was able to use this to apply to the prompts food on the cover for the Romancing Summer Challenge and novella for the Summer of Swoon board 2.

Mirabella is the younger sister of a brother and sister duo that run their deceased parents pizza shop. One day while working the register, Matteo comes in. There's instant attraction between the two and he practically begs for her number and for a date. Mirabella is shy and in remission from ovarian cancer. Matteo gets chased off by her older brother Tony. He comes back again, with flowers and the whole shebang and invites her to dinner at his fancy Italian restaurant.

This was very much an insta-love novella. I recently read Sheets and Giggles, a similar type of novella, and this one just didn't hit the same notes. This was a little too much insta-love and I feel like if we were going to stick to the 50 pages to do a time jump or quick passage of time (smaller than a time jump). They literally talked to each other for like 15 minutes and already are confessing love to each other and talking about marriage. I understand the moniker when you know, you know, but here it just felt too much. The steam was okay. I also didn't like the mentions of cancer for both Mirabelle and Matteo's mother. That's something heavy and either more needed to be addressed or just not there. Also there were two epilogues with a one-year and five-year time jump. I almost would've preferred one time jump for the epilogue and add the first into the meat of the story. 

It was quick, it was sweet, it was okay. I don't know if I'll read more Frankie Love, especially these 50 page novellas. Maybe if it has a trope I really like or fits a specific prompt for a reading challenge I'm struggling to find matches for. If I had to choose though, at this point I'd go with another author with this niche of novellas, like Megan Wade.

Have you read Pizza My Heart?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Pizza My Heart, Frankie Love, 3-stars, 0 days, eBook, 51 pages, published in 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...