Sunday, June 6, 2021

Peace, Blood, and Understanding by Molly Harper

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

The 9th and final book I read for the Love in the Night Readathon was Peace, Blood, and Understanding. This is the 7th book in Molly Harper's Half-Moon Hollow series. I have been a huge fan of Molly Harper's books, and binged her Jane Jameson when I first stumbled across it early 2017. When I found out there was going to be a spin-off series set in the same town/universe, I immediately picked it up. This book came out in 2019 and I can't believe I never saw it's release (or the one that followed in 2020).

We pick up back in Half-Moon Hollow with the vampire council sending our hero Erik to basically audit the council building. There's been some unique changes that the elder council members don't like, but at the same time the vampire human relations are better than most of places. He's here to make and/or suggest changes that don't follow the council's rules and make things more efficient. His love pair is Meadow, a vampire on probation. She had almost a vampire type of teen rebellion and is now under Jane's watch. People make fun of her for being a hippie, but it's more that she is into tea and how doing tea and herbal infusions to blood can help treat different things in both humans and vampires. I also found it was interesting that herbs and plants would affect vampires and humans differently. I loved the enemies-to-lovers feel with this even though I'm not usually a fan of that trope. Erik comes across as the stodgy city vamp in the southern small town and is very judgmental at first.

I enjoyed how Meadow reacted throughout the book. Even when she knew something was wrong, and did act on wanting to do the wrong thing, she still had the thoughts about doing it anyway. It felt natural but yet showed how sometimes it takes work to do the right thing and control your impulses. I also enjoyed all the tea talk and wish there was more of it. I also wish that we had more of the romance between Erik and Meadow. While I enjoyed that it wasn't as insta-love paranormals can be, I did wish we got more development between Erik and Meadow. It ends as more a hfn (happy for now) with them just agreeing to try to make things work, but that they are falling in love with each other. I also like what was done with Meadow's family and past life. The only thing is that I wish it was made a little bit less of a deal since Meadow had all these issues to work through and there wasn't really anything for Erik. Just accepting that Meadow didn't want to leave her home in Half-Moon Hollow and wouldn't be happy living in a big city. 

Molly Harper's humor always hits me just right and I loved the mini-scenes with previous characters in her series. It was fun to return to one of my favorite small towns in books and favorite paranormal universes. I just wish the book was longer, but a good portion of that is due to me loving it so much and not wanting it to end. I am excited that there's another release I also missed in this series and need to get it on my kindle ASAP. I also need to jump into her other series that I haven't gotten too, even her contemporaries. It's been a while since I read Molly Harper (back in 2017 with the last Half-Moon Hollow book) and I'm glad the readathon brought me back to her books. I can't wait to get to more. I'm also starting to collect her books in paperback since in 2017 I was moving around a lot and pretty much just read exclusively in eBook format. This was also a great last read for both the readathon and the month of May!

Have you read Peace, Blood, and Understanding?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Peace, Blood, and Understanding, Molly Harper, 5-stars, 0 days, eBook, 260 pages, published in 2019

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...