Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Savage Lover by Sophie Lark

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

After finishing my book club book, this past weekend, I immediately jumped back into Sophie Lark! The next book I had to read in her Brutal Birthright series was Savage Lover. This is the third book. I ended up applying this read to the indie prompt for Summer of Swoon and Canadian author prompt for the Romancing Summer Challenge.

I loved this book. This is my favorite Sophie Lark so far and I read it in one sitting and couldn't put it down. We return to the Gallo family, this time focusing on Nero. He's the wild child of the bunch, after Aida, and is helping to plan the next big construction project for their company. He's interested in redoing an area, but it'll take a lot of money to get things going. At the same time as him coming up with plans, he runs into former high school classmate Camille. She works as her dad's auto-shop as the 2nd mechanic. She was also bullied a lot in school, but necessarily by Nero. He's very aloof and definitely plays up his persona.

What really got me with this book is the way that Nero and Camille connected. At one point Nero talks about the walls they both put up emotionally and how nobody has been able to breech either of theirs except each other and how lonely they both are. He's really drawn to her and loves that she smells like his favorite things, car grease/gas, mechanic soap and a touch of vanilla. I really like how they both can't stop thinking of each other after their reconnection. Nero especially was so drawn to Camille and kept trying to convince himself otherwise. While I wouldn't call Camille a wallflower, she is definitely a quieter person and doesn't really do the things a lot of other women do like spend lots of time on hair and make up and have a nice wardrobe. While I myself am not a mechanic, I work as the office assistant to a mechanic shop and my father's a mechanic. I really enjoyed that she was the mechanic but not too much was made about the fact she was a woman in the industry. 

Another fun thing was the plot and Nero's plan to do a bank heist for the money they need. I haven't read a bank heist plot before in mafia that was more mission impossible-esque. I didn't really enjoy the subplot with Officer Schultz, but it was whatever. It kept bringing Camille to places she wouldn't normally go and connecting with Nero, so it did have a place in the story. Also, they were fire together and I couldn't get enough of their chemistry. I don't want to just list everything little thing I loved, but as I said above, this was my absolute favorite so far. There has been a lot of hype and good reviews of Sophie Lark around lately on booktube and bookstagram. I'm so excited that while I did have higher ratings in the first two books, I finally have one that really hit me. If I did 6-star ratings, this would be one. I want to collect her books in paperback and this will probably be the first I buy. While I try not to let other books by an author affect my rating too much, I do think that the last three will probably get a harsher judgement due to how much this book blew me away. I can't wait to continue the series!

Have you read Savage Lover?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Savage Lover, Sophie Lark, 5-stars, 0 days, eBook, 320 pages, published in 2020

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...