Wednesday, June 22, 2022

How to Steal a Scoundrel's Heart by Vivienne Lorret

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

The last book I read for my May 24th new releases binge was probably my most anticipated of the three, How to Steal a Scoundrel's Heart. This is the the fourth book in Vivienne Lorret's The Mating Habits of Scoundrels series. I was able to use this for the Taylor Swift Quarterly Challenge covering the prompt Look What You Made Me Do (cover with eyes on it), Summer of Swoon covering the prompt set outside of the USA and the Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo covering the prompt property inheritance.

Prudence has been ruined for kissing someone she thought was going to propose soon, but instead gets practically disowned by her father and sent to live with relatives in the country. When she receives a letter from her father that he is allowing her step-mother to use the small items of inheritance that was passed down from her birth mother, Prudence takes action. She heads to London, during the height of the season, to steal her mother's inheritance back. Since she is ruined, she struggles to find invitations to events around town. After running into Leo, the Marquess of Savage, a few times, she decides to take him up on his offer of help. Prudence and Leo sign and fourth month contract to have Pru become his mistress and in return she be rewarded as his previous mistresses, but also to help recover her mother's items.

How to Steal a Scoundrel's Heart was one of my most anticipated books for 2022 and it did not disappoint. Going in all I knew about what was going on with Prudence was what we found out in the previous books. I tried to stay away from all blurbs and reviews and was so surprised about what the plotline was. I loved the first meeting of Leo and Pru and how when she was asked why she was headed to London her response was "Larceny" and walked off. From that moment Leo was intrigued by Pru and just wanted to know more about who she was. Now there is the "not like other girls" trope here, but it made more sense. Pru is not like other girls in the fact that she's not like other mistresses and doesn't understand or care to become apart of the demimonde. Her plan isn't to become a mistress that floats from protector to protector. One of the items of inheritance from her mother was a deed to a small cottage that's not entailed. Her plan once she get's all of these items is to move to the cottage and live the rest of her life as a spinster in the country.

The way that Pru really pushes against all the money that Leo tries to spend on her was so funny to watch because Leo gets so frustrated that she's not trying to take advantage of him. She genuinely wants to get to know him as a person since they are going to spend the next four months together, but all his previous mistresses were outwardly happy to just stay surface level. Now I do want to kind of also mention that this might be triggering to others, but there is talk about a forced sex situation. It's not rape, but after her "ruination," the gentleman tracks Pru down in the country and tups her in a field. She is more than happy to not have sex again since he left her really sore and covered in bruises. He also apparently didn't enter her all the way to break her hymen. She doesn't see it as raped, but with the injuries she received Leo thinks that the guy forced himself on her. This is one of those odd situations, so if you are super sensitive to things like that I just wanted to mention it. I also do want to mention that there is some miscommunication at the end that was a little frustrating and I've seen quite a few people giving this 4-stars because of it. I totally understand why, but the rest of the book just gave me so much joy that it didn't detract from my reading experience overall. I do have to say that I might be a little bit biased as well though.

I was so happy to read a new book by Vivienne Lorret and am so hyped for the next book in the series. It's announced at the end that Meg's book will be next. There's also a hint as to what's going on in the 2nd half of the epilogue and I am certainly intrigued. I have so many thoughts about what's going on and as soon as the release date and pre-order is announced I will be getting my order in. Vivienne Lorret is one of my favorite modern historical romance authors and I cannot wait to read more!

Have you read How to Steal a Scoundrel's Heart?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: How to Steal a Scoundrel's Heart, Vivienne Lorret, 5-stars, 1 day, Paperbook, 384 pages, published in 2022, traditionally published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...