Saturday, June 4, 2022

Talk Nerdy To Me by Allie York

⭐⭐⭐⭐💫

After reading All Geek To Me, I immediately picked up Talk Nerdy To Me. This is the second book in Allie York's Word for Nerds series. I was able to use this to cover the prompts book 2 in a series for the 2nd board of Love Has Sprung and We Are Never Ever Getting Back Together (self-confident character) for the Taylor Swift Quarterly Challenge.

Rae is a popular gaming YouTube and Glitch (think Twitch) star. She has been working with her top competitor AugmentedReality lately to help keep both of them at the top. Slowly they've turned from rivals into friends, and now maybe more. When he notices she's off when they do a stream, he decides to come down and check on her in person. As a streamer that doesn't show his face, August knows who Rae is can't help but be even more attracted to her in person. When Rae unknowingly hits on August, he plays along. It doesn't take long for the truth to come out and their banter to turn more flirty.

This was so reaking good and I'm completely starting to get obsessed with this series. While all four girls are nerdy/dorky/geeky, they all have their niche. Rae, as you can probably guess, is all about the video games. She also does live streaming and vlogging of events held at the store. I really enjoyed how Rae forced them to put the breaks on the relationship once the attraction was acknowledged between them. The banters about if a meeting was considered a date or not was so cute; they're waiting until at least three dates to "go all the way." I also loved seeing a different side of nerdom and reading from the perspective of how it really is work to be a video game streamer. While it seems fun and games, there is a lot of "work" that has to be done.

Now, this wasn't quite a full 5-stars for me, and mainly for the 3rd act conflict. We see Rae and August get into an argument, and while one of them steps away to cool off, they don't leave the apartment. I loved the way that they really communicated with each other afterwards and hashed through why the argument happened and what each other needed to move past. Almost immediately we see August back track and then he does something incredibly stupid, he goes full ghost. And then, to top it all off, Rae is the one that goes to him and does more groveling. While I understand why he initially is upset with Rae and she does have something to apologize for, I felt like most of the situation should've been addressed by August. That tiny little thing (which is becoming more and more of an item I'm a stickler on), is why I docked the rating.

I cannot wait to continue the series and am so hyped up for the next couple books. I know that at some point we'll have Tuesday and Rae's older brother, whom she has pined after since she was 10-years old. I am going to be digging into Allie York's backlist for sure and can't wait to see what else she has written. If you are at all interested in nerd culture of any type, certainly check out this series!

Have you read Talk Nerdy To Me?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Talk Nerdy To Me, Allie York, 4.5-Stars, 2 days, eBook, 166 pages, published in 2020, indie published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...