Friday, June 17, 2022

Walking in a Geeky Wonderland by Allie York

⭐⭐⭐⭐

The 6th and final book (for now at least) in Allie York's Word for Nerds series is Walking in a Geeky Wonderland. I decided to pick this up now to not only finish the series, but also because I needed a holiday romance for the prompt 'Tis the Damn Season for the Taylor Swift Quarterly Challenge. I was also able to use this for the Summer of Swoon prompt white on the cover. I also decided to apply it to the prompt 2nd chance romance for the Ripped Bodice Summer Bingo.

Jake is still reeling and feeling out of place after stealing Amelia's purse to then return it and get in her good graces. When coming clean and returning her purse, an out of towner named Rory happens to overhear. After getting reprimanded by Amelia, Rory mentions that Jake got off easy and he turns to find himself drawn to the stranger. He suggests she meet him later that day over at the bookstore, and she never shows. Months later Rory and her friend plan to visit Word For Nerds again for their holiday party. Since their first encounter, Rory can't get Jake out of her mind and hopes to run into him at the party.

Now, this is my least favorite in the series. I did wish it was a little longer, but for it being a short holiday novella I though 4-stars was the rating. If I compared it to the rest of the series, it would definitely be closer to a  3.5-stars. I try to not do too many comparisons when I figure out my ratings, so that's why I gave it 4-stars. I liked how Rory and Jake were able to connect and they just had that little bit of extra tension between them. Now, Jake did not make a good decision in trying to get Amelia to see him as more than a co-worker, but I didn't like how off-putting our previous main characters seemed. Their accepting nature of all type of people just felt a little missing here even though I understood why they were angry with Jake. He apologized and Rae and August were friendly with him as well as Amelia. It just felt weird to me. 

What's fun is there could be a spin-off series from this book! Rory not only owns a computer repair shop with her girlfriends, but they are also a top video gaming team. Rae was kind of fangirling over them, which was funny because they were huge fans of Rae as well. I liked how Rory just really understood Jake and was accepting that he wasn't really a nerd. She saw how he was still trying to reach out to be accepted and find friendship. The way that the book wrapped up too was really heartening to see Jake find that acceptance. I do just wish that this was a little longer.

Even though it's my least favorite in the series, I was happy to see everyone get their HEAs. I'm hoping that this really was the potential bridge to a new geeky series or continuation of the series. I recently signed up for Allie York's newsletter, so hopefully I'll see any new releases that she has next. I don't know how long until I start going through more of her backlist, but I can't wait to see what else she's published!

Have you read Walking in a Geeky Wonderland?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Walking in a Geeky Wonderland, Allie York, 4-stars, 0 days, eBook, 72 pages, published in 2021, indie published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...