Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Let's Geek It On by Allie York

⭐⭐⭐⭐💫

And my binge continues! Next was the 5th book in Allie York's Word for Nerds series, Let's Geek It On. I was able to use this to cover the prompts Love Story (romance) for the Taylor Swift Quarterly Challenge and friends to lovers for Summer of Swoon.

Amelia and Simon have been coworkers and friends since Amelia got hired on at the bookstore across the street from Words with Nerds. She loves hanging out with the girls and is hoping to join their friend group. When she's helping out with a late night event, her purse goes missing. To help out, Simon offers to let her crash at his place. Even though they've been good friends, Simon has had a secret crush on Amelia for a while and they finally cross that line into more than friends.

As a follow up novella to the previous books, this was such fun addition. I loved seeing our previous heroines and heroes living in their HEAs in the background and also loved seeing more people be accepted and added to their business and friend group. Amelia is younger than the other girls, and it felt like it, but I just loved how they all were able to connect. Amelie and Simon are also huge fans of Firefly and Star Trek so we get a lot of references to those two specific fandoms. Now, I do prefer friends-to-lovers over enemies-to-lovers, but I thought the transition felt natural here and they really just kept hanging out the same, just with sexy times instead of just sleep at the end of a night.

Now this wasn't quite a full five-stars for me. One minor reason is that I just wish it was longer and we got to see a little more depth between them. There was some fast-forwarding at times and a lot of their connection was referenced as being developed before the book took place. The biggest reason I docked (which isn't that big of a reason overall) is at the beginning when in Simon's POV he apologized for his nerdy references or hobbies several times. There wasn't any of that in the previous books, so it just felt kind of off putting and out of place. Especially since a part of what makes this series so great is the acceptance of being nerdy and finding your people.

I've said this in my previous reviews of this series, but I'm very intrigued to read the rest of Allie York's backlist and anything she still has to write! I'm a little sad there's only one more book left in the series, but I'm also excited to finish it. I also really want to find paperback copies of this series since I can see myself rereading most of the books in this series.

Have you read Let's Geek It On?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Let's Geek It On, Allie York, 4.5-stars, 1 day, eBook, 117 pages, published in 2021, indie published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...