Monday, May 31, 2021

A Kiss for Solstice by Elizabeth Allyn-Dean

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

So to pick my 3rd book for the Love in the Night Readathon, I spun my spinner wheel again! I was aiming for another novella since it was Wednesday night. I had to re-spin a couple times (it really wants me to read Black Sunshine; I've gotten it like 5 times), but finally ended up on A Kiss for Solstice by Elizabeth Allyn-Dean. This is listed as book one in her Midnight Sun Supernaturals series. Imagine my surprise when I opened up goodreads to mark it as "currently reading" and saw it was over 200 pages! Not a novella, but it is at least a shorter book.

I bought this book late in the year when I was looking to finish my Heaving Bosoms Reading Embrace in 2020. One of the prompts I had left was an HB author. I found Elizabeth in the Facebook group and immediately bought her book on Kindle! I am applying this book to the witch prompt on the bingo board. I also am using this book for the debut novel prompt for the Romancing Summer Challenge.

This book really hooked me from the start. It's set in Alaska, which is a paranormal setting I haven't read too often. We start off meeting Zelda, our heroine, and her coven sister Lucy at an underground fighting ring. We learn that not only they are witches, but having issues with their leader of the coven that has their other sister and using her as leverage for Zelda to do unsavory things. A lot of shifters usually take part in the fights, and we learn that a lot of werewolves act as bodyguards for the coven leader Isadora. During one fight we meet newcomer Dax. Zelda can't quite tell what kind of shifter he his, but he wins he fight quickly and fairly easily. His brother Jamie is sitting behind them and they all chat about going out to eat after the bout. Dax cancels that. When he goes to meet with Isadora and pick up his winnings, he unwittingly stumbles across Larissa and tries to save her. He gets caught and after a couple different fights and attempted escapes, he finally perishes at the hands of the werewolf guards. He comes to be resurrected by Zelda, a necromancer, but despite having died has been infected with the werewolf curse.

I absolutely loved this book. It took the first chapter or so for me to really settle in, but once I did I struggled putting it down for sleep. Why or why do we need sleep every night? The banter between Dax and Zelda was on point. You can tell it's more modern with fun references to Princess Bride and other pop culture. It fit the characters though and didn't seem out of place. I mean, when Zelda resurrects Dax she tells him he was "mostly dead" and to call her Miracle Max. I loved it. I also really enjoyed the politics of the coven and how we are gradually introduced to Zelda and her blood sister being heirs. Isadora is actually her step-mother and after her father ran is left as high priestess of the coven. I also really loved that even though werewolves and witches are supposed to be enemies, there is such an instant connection between them that won't be denied. When Zelda helps Dax through his first shift I loved the way that she touched him and just was near him. Dax constantly made it known to Zelda that he was on her side and not choosing between witches or werewolves. The climax was also really well written and very engaging. I was definitely on the "edge of my seat" with the twists.

I also loved the natural feeling of future romances being set up in the series, although it seems like the series will focus on Dax and Zelda. This book was published in 2017 though, I didn't see any sort of updates on the authors blog or goodreads. There is a aneal peak to a book 2 set around Valentine's Day. I hope she writes more at some point. I'd love to continue in the series and want to read more from her. I loved the natural feeling of the characters and could really connect with their complexities. I'm definitely going to follow her on all the socials I can and hope she gets the chance to write more in the future! I am a fan! If you are interested in paranormal romance and looking for something a little more modern, I highly recommend this book! Although I am a little sad I waited so long to finally read it.

Have you read A Kiss for Solstice?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: A Kiss for Solstice, Elizabeth Allyn-Dean, 5-stars, 2 days, eBook, 236 pages, published in 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...