Friday, May 7, 2021

Lord of Darkness by Elizabeth Hoyt

🍎🍎🍎🍎🍎

The next book in my Maiden Lane binge is book 5, Lord of Darkness. I finally got another 5-star and am really enjoying Elizabeth Hoyt's writing. Book 2 in the Ghost of St. Giles chunk features our next ghost and his abandoned wife. Update: I have retroactively applied this book to the Romancing Summer Challenge for the Instagram recommendation prompt.

There were teasers in the previous books about who the Ghost of St. Giles might be. As we found out last book, there are actually three of them. One of the guesses I had at the beginning was Godric. I am happy to say, I was right! Lord of Darkness focuses on Godric as the 2nd Ghost of St. Giles and his abandoned second wife Lady Megs. In the previous book we also saw that Megs had a tender for Roger, who was then murdered by what was rumored to be the Ghost. Now this happens between the books, but it comes out that they had pre-marital relations and Megs finds out she is pregnant after his death. Her brother Griffin (the hero from book 2) set up an arrangement between her and his friend Godric, since he had just lost his first wife to a long-term illness. The day of the wedding Megs ends up miscarrying and after she leaves her sick bed is sent to Godric's country estate.

The book picks up a couple years later. Megs is back in town (and with his and her family) not only to finally consummate their marriage, but she wants a baby. She also wants to hunt down the Ghost and get revenge for the death of Roger. Our first meeting of these two is Megs holding the Ghost, her husband, at gunpoint when he arrives to rescue her from footpads in St. Giles. The first chapter hooked me, more than the previous books, and I couldn't put it down. While this is more angsty, which I keep saying I usually don't prefer, I absolutely loved it. I did wish that they had bit more communication about their grief and how it felt getting intimate with someone else than their previous loves. It led to some miscommunication and anger between them that went on a little too long for my preference. I also felt like the romance was sufficiently explored and wasn't left wanting more. While the plot of finding Roger's true killer was prominent, it felt better weaved in, especially since it directly correlated to our couple. I don't think I've mentioned him too much before, but there's also a soldier (Captain Trevillion) that's been tasked with hunting down the Ghost and gin runners in St. Giles. I love how in every book he's slowly coming to realize what exactly is going on in St. Giles and not just hunting the Ghost based on rumors propaganda. 

This is a shorter review, but really I can't say much more than I loved it! I'm certainly getting through these a little quicker than I expected, but when I get to a good one I just can't seem to put it down and find myself ravenous for more. I find if I'm really enjoying a book, I read faster because I just need more and more. If I find myself reading slower or putting it down from time to time, it's an indicator for me that I'm not enjoying it as much. After reading this, I immediately jumped into the next book to read about our 3rd Ghost!

Have you read Lord of Darkness?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Lord of Darkness, Elizabeth Hoyt, 5-stars, 0 days, eBook, 385 pages, published in 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...