Sunday, May 23, 2021

Cold-Hearted Rake by Lisa Kleypas

🍎🍎🍎🍎

Having some time before needing to start my last book club book of the month, I wanted to continue reading Lisa Kleypas and start my reread of the Ravenels series. The first book in the series is Cold-Hearted Rake. In case you haven't read any of my previous posts, I'm planning on rereading this series leading up to the release of book 7, Devil in Disguise, July 27th. Also a fun note, this was book 100 of the year! πŸŽ‰πŸŽ‰ Update: I have applied this book to the Romancing Summer Challenge for the teal on the cover prompt.

This book kicks off the Ravenels series wonderfully and is a really good 1st book of a series. We get decent introductions for all the Ravenel siblings and cousins (so far) and get enough moments to feel connected to everyone without losing too much focus on our main characters. This book focuses on the new Earl of Trenear, Devon and his cousin's widow Kathleen. For those that don't read historical too often, this might feel a little cringe worthy. Lisa Kleypas however is a master and we see that Kathleen was only married to the former Earl Theo for 3 days before his passing. Also good to note, they got into an argument on their wedding night, so technically it was never consummated. 

I really love Lisa Kleypas's writing and the way she pulls you in. It took 3 days for me to reread this book, but I started it late on a Monday and I don't get too much time to read during the week. Plus we have playoff hockey happening. While I'll read and watch at the same time during the normal season, I'll only read during intermission and commercials now. But back to the book! Despite loving most everything about this book, it is a 4-star read, maybe closer to a 4.25 if I'm super picky. While I loved the connection built between Devon and Kathleen and how they are one of those super passionate couples that bicker all the time, I wish Kathleen wasn't so forceful in her decision to follow all of the mourning rules, even those that are unnecessary and/or ridiculous. The first about third of the book has Devon back in London, after the initial meeting, and we get a little bit of an epistolary romance between them, as they both really come to respect and understand the other through their letters. While I enjoyed that part, I just wish that once Devon was back at the estate it didn't take as long for them to get together and really open up. Especially with the big train crash and Devon being injured. I also wish that we saw more caretaking from Kathleen's end. 

Another thing that bothered me about Kathleen, was her almost deliberate blindness to reality. While I understood that the former Earl left her in the dark about how bad the finances really were, I feel like she should've notice the house falling down around her. There were many mentions of walls starting to buckle and water damage that led to mold and other issues with house. It needed a complete remodel on top of adding updated plumbing and such. If she was supposed to be the lady of the house, she should've taken charge more, even if it was only for 3 days. It just felt like she was in control of the servants and had the relationship with the household that seemed like it was a lot further developed, but that was the only way she was the head outside of taking care of the sisters. 

The biggest thing about their relationship that bothered me was the mis- or lack of communication. There were too many assumptions made from both, but especially Kathleen. Plus she was too set in her belief of Devon as a complete rake. From what I understood she really only had gossip from society and the former Earl to go off of though. She knew that Devon and Theo did not get along at all, but had come to learn that some of the things Theo told her about Devon were misjudged or flat out wrong. I don't know, she's just not my favorite Lisa Kleypas heroine. It constantly felt like Devon had to push her for any sort of growth both personally and together.

I still really loved this book and if anything, Lisa Kleypas's writing style always sweeps you in. I've heard a lot of historical romance readers mention how sometimes it feels like a fantasy, and I feel like Lisa Kleypas really fits that vibe. I also love the families she centers her various series around. They are all unique, but there's always the strong sense of family. Since this is a reread, I can't wait to get to my favorites and can hopefully squeeze Marrying Winterborne (book 2) before the Love in the Night Readathon! I can't wait until July for Devil in Disguise either!

Have you read Cold-Hearted Rake?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Cold-Hearted Rake, Lisa Kleypas, 4-stars, 3 days, paperback, 419 pages, published in 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...