Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Her Favorite Rebound by Jackie Lau

⭐⭐⭐⭐💫

The author I chose for my July TBR prompt for continuing their backlist was Jackie Lau! I've been meaning to pick up the 4th book in her Cider Bar Sisters series, Her Favorite Rebound, since it was released in March and now was the perfect time! I was able to use this for the spring 2022 new release prompt for Summer of Swoon.

Sierra is dating Colton Sanders, the famous billionaire. Despite her family thinking she isn't able to catch a good man as a 34-year old divorcee that owns her own business, she is happy with her life for the most part. When at dinner, they run into Jake, a former lawyer for Colton. Before Jake knows Sierra is there with Colton, he falls in love at first sight and knows in his soul that they are the best match. When he finds out who Sierra is dating, he starts finding ways to show her who he really is. Sierra is struggling in her relationship with Colton and tries to keep herself from thinking about Jake so much. When things come to halt when Sierra catches Colton in a compromising situation, the only person she wants to run too for comfort is Jake and he takes the chance to make her his.

Now, I knew going in that this was going to be more of a love-triangle. This is a trope I really dislike and was nervous about that aspect, but I had more hope because I really trust Jackie Lau as an author. I was pleasantly surprised. First off, we are at the point in Sierra and Colton's relationship where she is really struggling with him liking her for who she really is. The nice things are welcome, but there are times where she feels like he's not seeing her but her race. He does come back a couple times to "win her back" but I loved that Sierra wasn't even interested and never tempted to go back to him. I just really loved the way she couldn't stop thinking of Jake even though she still felt loyalty to Colton. Now, if you are worried about cheating, there is that in here from Colton. There can also be an argument made that Sierra is emotionally cheating Colton, but it's not a trigger for me and didn't bother me at all.

As always with Jackie there are great restaurants and foodie things. It was also really fun to see her working on creating card for her small shop and I would love to visit it. I know I  would spend way too much money getting all the cute stationary things. If you've read her Baldwin Village series, Sierra's shop is mentioned since it's in the same area. Before we wrap up, I do want to mention a couple things that held this back from a full 5-stars for me. First, I wished that we were over the Colton stuff a little earlier. It went on a little longer than I was hoping, but at the same time I thought everything was well-paced. The other minor thing I had an issue with was Sierra pushing Jake away when Colton does his final big gesture. I also didn't like that she pushed him away so much and tried to just keep it physical so long. I would've just wanted her to open up to him earlier, especially with her feeling the "rightness" of their relationship as well.

I am sad but also can't wait to finish the series in August. I'm super excited for Rose's book, Her Unexpected Roommate. Jackie Lau is a favorite contemporary author for me and this one was really good. I also felt like even though it took a little bit longer for Sierra and Jake to get together, once they did it got pretty steamy. If you haven't read Jackie Lau, I couldn't recommend her enough. She is just such a good cozy author for me and I can't wait to see what she has planned next! (She mentioned in a newsletter she'll be starting two new series later this year.)

Have you read Her Favorite Rebound?

Bookishly Yours,

Stasi🍎


STATISTICS: Her Favorite Rebound, Jackie Lau, 4.5 stars, 1 day, eBook, 242 pages, published in 2022, indie published

No comments:

Post a Comment

How I Rate Books

Before I get into posting my reviews, I wanted to do a guideline for how I rate things. There are a lot of people that critically review and...